NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Randleman on Friday, most of the day.

Conditions:
Phony threat of rain in the morning, then sunny
Water temps 77-80
Water clarity, maybe a little less clear than last week
Winds - calm with short periods out of the NE or E

The pattern was schools of dinks in 6 ft of water, outside of wood, and near deeper water. Like they were cruising woody areas but not staying tight to wood. Or maybe we were just meeting them at the times they were coming out from the creek channels to feed. Everything on T-rig plastics. All on the lizard at first, but then kept missing hooksets - bluegills or bass just biting the tail? Switched to a craw for the smaller profile and the catching resumed. Jig was unproductive, maybe 4-5 hits all day and none of them connected.

No size (1-2 lb) but the continuous action was fun. I bet C-rigging would have been effective as well since a lot of the action was near the outside edge of the wood. But why switch to C-rig when the T-rig is working? Lol My friend had an off-pattern beast on (in the sticks very shallow) on a fluke. It was a big one, but it wrapped his line in the sticks and broke off. No pictures to show as it was all dinks. It was a really fun day all and all.

Jay

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Fishing is good even when it's just dinks. To answer your question about the c rig. The bigger fish will hang out on points recuperating from the spawn for a week or two. Our experience last week was that our bigger fish were either on humps or points.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fishing is good even when it's just dinks. To answer your question about the c rig. The bigger fish will hang out on points recuperating from the spawn for a week or two. Our experience last week was that our bigger fish were either on humps or points.
That's a very good point. Before we figured out the pattern I started saying, I bet carolina rig or crankbaits out deep are what they want, not beating the banks like we were doing! Later on we did watch one guy working my favorite point, along the creek channel - it was far enough away I couldn't tell what he was using, but we didn't see him hook up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts