NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 3 week hiatus due to busy schedule, finally got a chance to get back down to the pond. Mr. speedcraw got me back into the game with plenty of eager dinks and 1 starving bucketmouth. This thing was hideous looking, like it hadn't had a meal in months. I was too far from the box to get the scale, but I think it still would have pushed 5. you coulda put a 12" softball in his mouth. I actually felt bad he was tricked into a fake craw. :(This hole gives me at least 1 5-7 lber per year and this was the biggest yet for '14. I got 3 months left to make up for this shameful beast!

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To my knowledge, crawdads and mosquito fish would be primary forage. Smaller sunfish would be next. I've never seen a specimen this poor. Sunfish and crappie (oh no....) abound so there should be plenty for this guy to eat. I've caught some fatties out there but they are few and far between. I've also tried thinning out dinks by taking them to neighboring bodies. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew the crappie thing would come into play.... Here's the skinny: This pond is 6-7 acres, fed by at least 4 springs and aquifer. Deepest point along dam 12-13'. This pond is very private with only 4 known people with permission and None of us keep what we catch and there are no signs of sneak-in-bucket fillers. The slab fishing 4 years ago was OUTSTANDING with a 10-12' hitting every other cast with a Rapala or roostertail. The shellcracker bite was also very good. Has a non-reproducing population of about 12 huge grass carp. Now, the crappie bite is almost non-existent and an evening of dinks is a guarantee. I almost attribute the slack slab bite due to my switch to bass huntin and carrying only 1 rod for panfish. Simple answer: Start culling 'em out??
sometimes the ebb and flow of this pond is perplexing.

·
Registered
660 Posts
You've got to start harvesting fish. It's over-populated. We have a similar situation on a 20+ acre lake with a half-dozen fisherman who mostly practice catch and release on bass. We've always taken eating size bream and crappie out but the bass have been released. The bream and crappie populations are thriving but we have too many skinny bass. You need to be taking out 40 lbs of bream and 10 lbs of bass per acre per year. Here's the a link to Virginia's recommended pond management practices
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/pondmanagement/managing.asp

·
Registered
441 Posts
You've got to start harvesting fish. It's over-populated. We have a similar situation on a 20+ acre lake with a half-dozen fisherman who mostly practice catch and release on bass. We've always taken eating size bream and crappie out but the bass have been released. The bream and crappie populations are thriving but we have too many skinny bass. You need to be taking out 40 lbs of bream and 10 lbs of bass per acre per year. Here's the a link to Virginia's recommended pond management practices
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/pondmanagement/managing.asp
thanks for that Ras it'll come in handy down at moms place!

Reactions: Fish_Fiend
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.