NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These tasty fish can be found in the Gulf of Mexico up the eastern coastline to Virginia.The average size is 1 to 2 pounds with some attaining 5 lbs. 17 lbs 7 oz is the world record. Spotted sea trout are part of the drum family of fish. They are known as salmon trout, sea trout, black trout, winter trout, gator trout, and spotted weakfish to name a few. They have black spots on their tail, back, and dorsal fins. They have a white belly with silver, yellow body.

What is the time of year to fish?

You can find them in water temperature in the low 60's to low 80's. In the winter they migrate to deeper water.
What do they eat?

They eat shrimp, preferable live shrimp and other crustaceans. The bigger sea trout eat small fish such as mullet., pig fish, and pin fish.

Where To find them?

Near shore in grassy areas and sandy bottoms. They can be located near a pier or inshore where there is grass.
How to Catch Them?
Try fishing early mornings and late evenings. You can also catch them on overcast days.
They spook easily. If the fish sees you he will move. Sometimes they can be hard to catch.

One technique is throw a lighted float at night in the water and fish around the float with live shrimp.
People do catch them from the pier. Throw a float out with 2 to 3 Ft of line on it with live shrimp early in the morning and make a popping noise with the float. This is a fast whipping action of the rod from 2 o'clock position to 11 o'clock GThat noise attracts sea trout thinking another one is eating.

For lures use floating Castana and the Boone spinana . Twitch the bait erratically and wait. Red and white seem to be the best color. You can also use MirroLure's Top Dog and walk it across the water. Try silver or gold spoons, or buck tails. Gotcha plugs work well. For soft plastics try the curly tails with 1/4 oz jig head.

For Equipment use a 6 to 8 ft fast action spinning rod with 10-20 lb fishing line. The hooks can be 1 to 5 in size.
One word of caution, in most states there is a size limit to them and how many you can catch.. Check with State Game & Wildlife people. Or you can ask your local bait and tackle shop for the size and creel limits of sea trout. Happy Fishing!!!!

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Looks like a copy and paste from an article to me. advertisement coming next?

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Guess I should quit fishing for them in water less than lower 60s but man I gotta try this gotcha thing......under a popping cork, Thanks Tony ;)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
So is this website for sharing information or is it a place for the resident 'experts' to make fun of people?

Reactions: Bullred

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
In doing some quick research, this was a copy and paste article posted elsewhere. However, best I can ascertain, basswm123 is the original author of the article. Since there was no advertisement or self promotion in the post, I approved it. If advertising or promotional links, etc. appear at a later date, I'll delete it. In the meantime it appears to me to be an angler trying to share some information from his experience and whether you agree with the information or not, he is currently welcome here and I appreciate the contribution. Please feel free to discuss the merits of the information but be civil in doing so. :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Lots of people fishing from bridges in Florida catch trout using gotcha plugs, guess they have no clue what they are doing, since the only way to catch trout is using an expensive custom painted mirrolure.

Reactions: drumfisher

·
Registered
138 Posts
true story. i was chunking a gotcha plug on long beach pier catching blues and spanish. i got a loop in my line, so i threw out and then pulled the loop off. by the time i got everything untangled, the plug was on the bottom. i started retrieving and quickly got a bite. pulled up a nice trout. started bouncing the gotcha plug on the bottom and caught a few more trout that day.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
A little sarcasm never hurt anyone, this place used to be fun...............now we are just making fun of people people. Thanks for clarifying it was legit Randy. Have to admit it was a bit suspect to begin with.

And noone ever said you couldnt catch a trout with a gotcha....................you can catch lots of species with a gotcha but not the prefered method.

Reactions: c.lane

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
A little sarcasm never hurt anyone.
Yes, it always leaves a nice warm fuzzy feeling to get dog piled by 7 consecutive smart aleck sarcastic remarks after your 3rd post on a website that is new to you and from people you do not know, especially when you thought you might be being helpful. Welcome aboard.

Tim, you should thoroughly enjoy this post since you are so enamored by sarcasm. And the post seemed suspect to you, why? Because maybe someone does not possess the enormous vast wealth of fishing knowledge that you have? Just having a little fun with sarcasm, after all never bothered nobody does it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.