NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I had a great day surf casting for specs using mirrolures. I was using a 2500 series reel and a medium 7 foot rod with 12lb mono line. I was able to cast almost as far as anyone else (about 50-60 people in one area), and it seemed the people who could cast the farthest seemed to catch the most specs. I do realize that being able to cast pretty far is not always going to make you catch more. However, it did make me start thinking about casting distance while fishing spinning gear in the surf. I am now using some braided line. What I would like to know is what is your opinion on how to get the most casting distance with spinning gear with a 52m mirrolure (weighs 1/2 oz.). Would like to know what combination works best---reel size, rod length, rod power and action, line type (mono vs braid), and line size. What setup works best? Thanks for the help.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
The lighter the braid the better. A rod with good whip. I use an Ugly Stik intercoastal ICSP11862M It is a whopping 8.5 ft long but thin and whippy, Med action rated 8-20lb line. I can send a gotcha, kastmaster or a mirrolure to the moon with this thing. Not good for bottom rigs, or live bait because it is so limber but with a 2500/3000 series reel, braid, and a shot of reel magic on the spool its hard to beat for the $. I break it out when I am headed for the pier or surf. I use 15-20lb braid with a 20lb mono leader.

Reactions: Alotahp and BigE818

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My surf trout set up is a custom spinning rod built on a fly rod blank. It's 9 ft long and as said above its long and whippy. Perfect for trout. My reel is loaded with 8lb braid. Casts a mile. Also good for launching light metal at Spanish.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Steelhead rods are awesome if you want distance with relatively light lures. I have quite a few, but my favorite is a g Loomis flyrod blank. It's 9 ft and 8 weight. It was custom built by a guy up in Michigan. Really slings them the few times I've casted with mirrolures with it.

For something that won't break the bank, okuma has a cheap line of steelhead rods that aren't bad for the money. If you want to step up a little bit, fenwick steelhead rods are pretty popular in the great lakes area as well. Eastern outfitters in jacksonville actually had a couple in stock not too long ago.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
as with most things it looks like a matter of how much you are willing to spend.

Reactions: Drum Runner

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Money buys speed in racing.
Money buys distance in casting.
I really do appreciate all the advice. Those Cabelas rods look like a great deal with the sale. I dont mind spending $100-150 to get the right rod. Any other suggestions? I assume Shimano Stradic and Quantum Smoke PTS reels cast as good as anything in the 2500 and 3000 sizes.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I really do appreciate all the advice. Those Cabelas rods look like a great deal with the sale. I dont mind spending $100-150 to get the right rod. Any other suggestions? I assume Shimano Stradic and Quantum Smoke PTS reels cast as good as anything in the 2500 and 3000 sizes.

I'm not the one to ask. I'm one of the rare individuals that surf fish with baitcasters it seems.,

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I like the noodle rods when you need greater distance and as Trigger says the larger spool on the 4000 series reels contributes to longer casts. I like the Shimano Symetre. I think the 4000 also offers greater balance for those long rods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 2 Fenwick and 1 Wright and McGill steelhead spinning rods all 9'. They all have 4000 Penn battles with power pro braid. They cast a mile but I get some wind knots sometimes. I'm thinking of changing to another braid of some sort after I do some research. Anyone have any recommendations on braid?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I have 2 Fenwick and 1 Wright and McGill steelhead spinning rods all 9'. They all have 4000 Penn battles with power pro braid. They cast a mile but I get some wind knots sometimes. I'm thinking of changing to another braid of some sort after I do some research. Anyone have any recommendations on braid?
Yeah but you're already using it. 10 pound power pro original.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you happen to know if the fenwick rod is the HMX S902M-M model? I am thinking of trying this one.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Yeah but you're already using it. 10 pound power pro original.
Would you lose that much distance if went with a larger pound braid?
I use 30 on my baitcasters just because it's easier for me to see and tie. I'm not familiar with wind knotting even when casting for flounder. Is that a spinning reel thing? I have never heard of it until I started using this site.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Would you lose that much distance if went with a larger pound braid?
I use 30 on my baitcasters just because it's easier for me to see and tie. I'm not familiar with wind knotting even when casting for flounder. Is that a spinning reel thing? I have never heard of it until I started using this site.
I notice a significant difference in casting distance between 10 pound and 20 pound braid.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.