NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone with a sail kit for a Hobie would measure the vertical and horizontal length of the sail and post the measurements I would appreciate it. The length of the mast would be helpful also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I laid mine out on the floor and measured the following:
Sail height from bottom to top is 101-1/2" (tallest point)
Horizontal is 47" (widest point)
Mast is 123-3/4" (top to bottom with the two parts joined together)

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
If you are a DIY on the cheap guy like me, I will share my thoughts. I did a couple of DIY sails and sailed with guys who did others....

Plastic tarp never stops making noise all day long. Tyvek makes way more noise until it is filled and then it is quieter. If you go nylon (can actually be a better deal if you buy a slightly soiled roll and nylon is quiet), carry a needle and thread and don't pay the price for rip stop. The rips happen while raising it and you can stop raising, stitch it and keep raising in a matter of minutes and the rips never happen to most people. But they do happen to maybe a third of the people with nylon sails so be prepared. Nylon is more of a pain because your sail will have multiple panels and needs a decent sewing machine. Worth the hassle, IMO. The multiple panels is a problem with a plus - any rips are constrained to a small section. Anyway, that's what I got that is relevant...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info aramnrtar!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OptiMystic, thanks for sharing your experience with various sail materials. I had not thought of tyvek. I am definitely "on the cheap" with this project, not knowing whether this will be a viable mode in getting from point A to point B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts