NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search here and found nothing on the subject.
I will be picking up my new boat and trailer in a couple weeks and I have read volumns on the subject of whether or not to balance the tires on the trailer as the manufacturers usually do not.

It would seem to me anything spinning at 50 to 70 mph should be balanced for optimum ride and tire wear.

I found this while researching.....

"". If you do balance trailer tires, remember that manytrailer wheels are centered by the position of the lug bolts (these wheels arelug-centric) and not the center bore of the wheel. To get the best tire balancefor lug-centric wheels, you should have them balanced using a pin plateadapter. This mimics the way a lug-centric wheel is mounted to a hub."""

What are your thoughts and does anyone know a place in Fayetteville where one can get a good trailer tire balancing done??

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I agree with Neil, seems to me that your typical car tire is lug-centric. Had my trailer tires balanced, few extra bucks and surely can not hurt.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
If I have them mounted at a shop I go ahead and have them balanced. If I do them at home myself with a pry bar I do not. Typically on my usually older trailers, my rims have been bumped and tweaked long enough that they aren't "true" anymore anyway and they wiggle a bit. Knowing this, I buy cheap trailer tires and don't worry about it. On something nicer or very heavy I would put more effort into it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I wouldn't worry about tread wear. Side walls dry rot long before tread is done. I never have had them balanced unless the tire shop just does them as part of mounting a tire
Not necessarily only a tread wear issue, unbalanced radial loads can dramatically reduce bearing life. If you can avoid shaking the snot out something, why not?

Reactions: 204Angler
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.