NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I always hear about people saying that they don't like to fish because it is boring so I always tell them that it is because they didn't go fishin with me!

What I think it boils down to is that relaxation fishing just isn't entertaining enough for some people. I happen to be one of those people! To me fishing is definitely a sport:D. I don't care how big the fish is as long as I am pulling something in. I have even grabbed a net and caught some minnows on days that I was otherwise skunked. I am not saying that I don't enjoy the peace and quiet that fishing usually offers but if I knew for sure that I would not catch a fish I might not even bother going.

How do you all feel about fishing? Are you relaxers or hunters? Are any of you superstitious about fishing and you have something you do every time to ensure you catch fish?:p

I can't wait to hear from you all, you always bring something interesting to the table.

Til then...

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
This is a great question.

I think the act of participating in fishing as a sport is relaxation in it's self. Learning to fish and being determined to be successful at it, is what makes it a sport. People play softball and other sports to relax but I really don't think any player would have the attitude that I'm here just to relax, they want to win. I want to catch fish.

However, whether I catch fish or not doesn't mean that it wasn't relaxing for me. A fishless day, just means that I learned something different that day that will hopefully help me when faced with the same conditions the next time. It's always a process of learning, practicing, that helps us enjoy the sport because we improve and therefore are more successful.

I have fished with alot of folks who say that they don't care if they catch fish or not but I know that is BS or they wouldn't keep going. It's sort like the bumper sticker "Vegetarian is just another word for lousy hunter". Saying that I fish just to relax is just another way to say "I got skunked".

As far as superstition, I leave those to my wife and she has more than the Darlings from the Andy Griffith show.

Have fun with it.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
relaxation all the way ;) unless i have some soldiers out then they get to relax as i do my best to put them on fish and keep the baits alive and fresh ;)

Reactions: jimbeamii

·
Registered
762 Posts
I like the idea of "relaxation fishing" and often tell myself "I can't wait to get out on the water and relax." However I've found when I'm actually out fishing it is very intense. I'm working hard to find the fish, find the big fish, very focused on what my line is doing or where my next cast will land.. I have to make myself slow down and enjoy God's creation more often than not.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
In theory, relaxation.

In practice, it's stressful because I'm keeping track of the kids, making sure nobody gets hooked, telling my youngest not to crawl in the mud, and dealing with my wife's stress if she doesn't catch a fish in the first 15 minutes or so.

I'm the one in the family with patience. Which I need, because I'm also the worst fisherman in the family.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I don't care how big the fish is as long as I am pulling something in. I have even grabbed a net and caught some minnows on days that I was otherwise skunked.
Pgene -- I definitely go for the big ones. My passion is getting out in the big water looking for something that's going to challenge heavy tackle and make me worry about getting pulled over the gunwales. In shore, catching big drum or stripers is fun, but nothing like the adrenaline rush of hooking up with a big king, mahi, AJ, hoo, etc.... above 20lbs, please.

I also get way in to perfecting the heavy equipment in pursuit of the perfect spread, rigging different setups, etc.

Having said all that, whether inshore or out, when I get home I always tell the first mate that I am totally decompressed. :) And tired.

So, in the end, I am relaxed and usually feel I've learned something that day. My sore muscles tell me I've got a pretty good physical fitness program, too. :D

Reactions: Pgene21

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
>>sport or relaxation?

That would be depending of the fishing which I'm doing but I would say it all about relaxation. Since I've worked from a home office for the last 11 years what better way to escape when the walls are closing in.

I would say bay sturgeon fishing was the most relaxing type of fishing there is. I would run either up the SF Bay or down the SF bay find some nice current and drop the pick. Once the anchor pull tight with the current put a out line and pop open a cold one and relax. (I would only bring out two cold ones. One to start off the trip and one for a victory drink after I get a big one) I've been out hundreds of time just by myself. Even though I have friends begging to take them out. Since they knew I was always out fishing. Just sitting on the boat with no radio playing. Hearing the sounds of nature while watching the water flow by until the rod doubles over and then all **** breaks loose. Boy it is a sight to see when you got a big boy pulling 100~300 yard of line while jumping clean out of the water.

Now when I was bay trolling for stripers or halibut that was more towards sport then relaxing since you were working the gear more but it was just as relaxing just putt'n the boat around waiting for something to bend the pole.

Ocean salmon fishing was more toward sport but still relaxing. Since you were trolling, working the gear and bucking the swell. It was always nice to come home with a good sized one to put in the smoker.

I also did a lot of commercial fishing with rod and reel. That was still relaxing but I was out to fill up the boat to fill our monthly quota.

Here are some photos while out relaxing.

Tim C

Photos:
1. Sunrise on the SF Bay
2. Sunset on the SF Bay
3. Outgoing tide sturgeon fishing in San Pablo Bay
5. Golden Gate Bridge; Ocean view
6. Sunrise on the ocean with a breaching whale
7. Sunset on the ocean
8. Trolling for salmon on the ocean
9. Running back off the ocean before it gets too dark.

With sights like these how can you not relax?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I'm with the "both" crowd. Serious about the sporting aspect, but participating is my relaxation also.

There's a lot of effort involved in loading all the piece-parts, unloading, paddling, and then hunting for fish on the kayak. I can justifiably claim exercise credits for every part of a trip. But the very act of leaving other stresses behind is enough to improve my disposition significantly.

I haven't found a better place in the world to recycle my attitude and count blessings than sitting on the surface of a dead calm lake in the early morning, with nobody around but the Ospreys and Herons. I will admit some mischievous pleasure in seeing all the worker-bees stuck in traffic on the Hwy 98 bridge while I'm on the water... I know I'll be in line with them tomorrow, but today I am king of the world!

A couple times a season I'll leave most of the gear behind and go stand in the middle of the river with a rod and a pocket full of worms pitching into the eddies for an hour or two. The feel of the current and the sounds of the water recharge the batteries without the effort.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Relaxation and enjoy the gift of the outdoors from our Creator.

It is simplicity at its best: no computer, no deadline, no QA, no cell phone, no email, no demands. Just me, a stick, string and a fish. ahhhhhhh.....in my happy place.

Eddie

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It's all about relaxing for me. Catching is great but just being out is the best part of it. Find myself stressing less since i've been fly fishing. It allows me to not only fish. But if i'm not catching i'm working on my casting.:D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These are great answers from all of you, and now that I am really thinking about it I think that it really has to be both. Because no matter how bad the day of fishing it is better and more relaxing than almost anything else. Fishing is kinda like a song that changes tempos on you when you least expect it, one minute you might be chillin out and the next you might be holding on to your pole for dear life. Over all I think it is definitely a relaxing sport!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Pgene--- Good thread! My younger years of fishing was definitely all sport. Nothing compared to the adrenalin rush while crashing out of an inlet to run offshore to fish.:eek:Productive offshore fishing is hard work. I have often remarked that if an employer had ever tried to make me work that hard, I would have probably quit.

Older years--Relaxation --- fishing the backwaters with fly rod or ultralight spinner from a skiff or kayak. I'm much more in tune with my surroundings than before. As with all fishermen the next cast is gonna get the big one.:eek: One of my favorite quotes is:

FISHING IS 95% ANTICIPATION--ABOUT 5% CATCHING

Either way, fishing and tying flies fills a void in my life that I cannot conceive being without.:)

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I`m definitely down with the both crowd.
Fishing is a whatever you make it-
Canepole to big $ boats and tourneys.
You just fall in where you fit, and for most people it changes as you go.
In the beginning most people want to catch ALOT of fish.
Then they want to catch the bigggest fish.
Then target certain types of fish.
After that you figure out it`s just being out there that is the reward.
Catching is the bonus.
As Fojo said, fishing is alot about hope. You never know what the next cast will bring.
It never gets old for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fojoloy,

Thanks for your post:). You hit the nail on the head! I definitely always feel that the next cast will be the big one, I think that this one thought drives me to fish more than any other. If you ever see me fishing in heavy cold rain going on my third hour you better beleive that every time I cast I am praying to get a whopper on my hook.:D

I was just thinking about my biggest fish, the drum pic that I use for my avatar. I know it is weird but even though it was my biggest fish I was mad that I caught him. The problem was that it was like 10 at night after one of the most tiring days ever. Now I had this beautiful fish that I was definitely going to eat but I had to clean it before I went to bed:mad:. I just wanted to sleep! Well long story short I did the job and luckily I got the pics to prove it.

Thanks again everyone for the great posts!:)

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
By now many of you may know that I am an enthusiast of the written word. We all like to catch fish, probably because of our competitive nature and fishing alone gives you a chance to compete only with yourself. But let me break out some classic literature on you boys:

'Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after."

Henry David Thoreau

G

·
Well it's been a long road really. Think about it, most fisherman go through stages. If you started at a young age, say fishing for bluegills/bream, then you start after the catfish, crappie and bass, etc. Always learning and taking on that new challenge. I like some here have reached near senior status and are more easily satisfied and happy with what we see/do at daybreak without the fish taking part. Obviously, my new adventure with a kayak will not be stress free, and i know i have a long learning curve ahead, but i have time and i'm going to love taking that on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really like what Stu says about fishing and it reminds me of Shakespeare's the 7 stages of man. I know that my fishing has changed so much over the years and when you look back you can really see the stages pretty well defined but when your in the moment it is a bit harder to see where you are.

I also liked H20hhh's quote
'Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after."

Henry David Thoreau

I like it because even with some self examination I know that I am one of those people that don't really know what I am after so it really strikes a chord with me.

Thanks for putting so much thought into your posts guys!
:D
I`m definitely down with the both crowd.
Fishing is a whatever you make it-
Canepole to big $ boats and tourneys.
You just fall in where you fit, and for most people it changes as you go.
In the beginning most people want to catch ALOT of fish.
Then they want to catch the bigggest fish.
Then target certain types of fish.
After that you figure out it`s just being out there that is the reward.
Catching is the bonus.
As Fojo said, fishing is alot about hope. You never know what the next cast will bring.
It never gets old for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fishing is a great pastime.

I would say its not about sport for me, but I want to catch the "BIG ONE" as much as anyone. It is not what drives me to the water, but it is certainly a factor when I am there.

It can't be about relaxation. Fishing can be real work:

It is work to purchase gear and pay fees.
It is work to maintain gear and a boat.
It is work loading, driving, unloading etc.
it is work getting up in the middle of the night to be on the lake at dawn.

Yet being on the lake at dawn with the mist rising, or watching an osprey catch the fish I am not getting to bite are some of the most serene moments of my life. They have value far above the work it takes to have the experience.

For me the food aspect is important. I eat fish. I despise the disconnect between producing food and eating food that most folks experience. Every child should be taught to grow food, and to gather it from the wild. Most folks have no clue how to produce food although it is possible for almost everyone to do so if they were taught how, and had the inclination to do the work. Even the poorest folks can grow food.

Fishing is something my father did. It is something my father's father did. It is as much a part of being anything else.

Cheers, Tom

1 - 20 of 34 Posts