NC Angler Forums banner

Do you support the new Saltwater Recreational Fishing License?

• Yes I support the license in its current form.

Votes: 61 51.7%
  • No I do not support the license in its current form.

Votes: 24 20.3%
  • I might support it with some modifications. (share your thoughts on the forum!)

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • I don't have enough information to form an opinion yet.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don't care one way or the other

Votes: 1 0.8%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you support the Saltwater Recreational fishing license?

It has been talked about for years and debated significantly over the past couple years, but how do you feel about the proposed NC Saltwater Recreational license? The license is set to take effect January 1, 2006. You can view the specifics of the license by linking to:

http://www.ncdmf.net/recreational/NCRecSaltLicense.htm

Share your thoughts on the license and lets get the discussion started here! You can choose a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" icon for your post in the "Post New Thread" window. I'm also adding a poll on the issue.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I'll start. I support the idea of a Saltwater Recreational license as long as the proceeds are going to a fund to promote the conservation of fish habitat and the management of fish stocks. We must be diligent to make sure that the legislature does not divert these funds for other uses.

I believe the cost for the once a year, 7-day license is too low, especially for out of state anglers coming to NC to fish.

Finally, a couple of years ago I purchased a lifetime fishing license for my two sons and myself. I am disappointed that there is not an "upgrade path" for those with lifetime NC fishing licenses to include the saltwater license. I understand that the license I purchased was for freshwater fishing, but I was paying a significant amount of money to fish the waters of NC. If there had been a saltwater license I would have purchased it instead, since most of our fishing is on the coast. So I'm okay with the current license except I do think there should have been another pricing structure for lifetime Sportsman or fishermans licenses.

That is my position. What is yours? I'm willing to be persuaded. :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
NCangler said:
Finally, a couple of years ago I purchased a lifetime fishing license for my two sons and myself. I am disappointed that there is not an "upgrade path" for those with lifetime NC fishing licenses to include the saltwater license. I understand that the license I purchased was for freshwater fishing, but I was paying a significant amount of money to fish the waters of NC. If there had been a saltwater license I would have purchased it instead, since most of our fishing is on the coast. So I'm okay with the current license except I do think there should have been another pricing structure for lifetime Sportsman or fishermans licenses.
Different agencies, different spending. You lifetime fishing license from the WRC is going into the wildlife fund, for all WRC projects not just fishing. With the CRFL al the money from the fund will be towards either the fisheries or ramps, etc.

I personally don't feel that the money should be used for maintenance dredging of the Inlets.

There should be around 30% of the money given to the enforcement......that is where we are truly lacking.

Raise the dag on price for crying out loud.....$1 or $5 so we don't tick off the tourist.......they can eat one less hot dog then. At least $5 for the week Also I think this goes against the WB tax distribution as the $1 fee does not cover the cost of issueing it. And we want that money.

Do not put a provision for a blanket license, it will not effect the captains or pier owners, and the captains and guides will not be responsible for their fares having a license.

Oh yeah one last thing............print it on a piece of paper.......that paperless thing is a joke.:mad:

·
Registered
791 Posts
they went to a SW license back home in FL, but it wasn't the same as the one here.. as long as you feet were on land or a pier, you didn't need one. If you stepped onto a boat, you needed one.
I can agree with that part. It focuses on a group of fisherman yes, but it also allows for the weekend warrior who is on vacation at the beach for a few days to save a few bucks.
If you are paying 1200$ for a tuna run, whats 10$ for the license? I typically catch my own bait for SW fishing from creeks and back water... and I fish from state parks, or coast guard docks, so typically the only fee I pay is for gas. I like the idea of saving the extra few bucks each year.

Rye

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree, the SWFL should bring in a tidy some, but the funds will only benefit the anglers if it is used properly. So many times, "TAXES" if you will are deverted for a more important cause. Can we monitor the funds?? Do we know they are going where they are suppose to?? We only know what we are told by the political powers that be!

G

·
The money produced from a saltwater fishing license should be used to clean up the lakes, I don't mean set up trash cans everywhere and hope people will use them, it means get government workers to float around and clean up the messes. It makes sence to me...what do you think?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The freshwater license is good for restocking etc. The SWL is a NO for me. When they mention a board of trustees, non profit org. and using profits from investing the money, I see the money Disappearing with all the hands in the Cookie Jar. look at our money situation now, we are always short of funds. I see the SWL as a Tax that will keep increasing because of the Cookie Jar. No Thanks

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
As a non- resident of NC I think the $1 for one week is nothing short of foolishness . $10.00 is dirt cheap for a week and I'd never grumble about $25./yr. The powers that be are bending over backwards to get tourism dollars . If a non-resident fisherman can't help suport the resource, let him do something else with his time. I think if you are willing to spend the money it takes to get there; then if you want to fish , you aren't going to cry about $10 to fish for a day or a week. I've got a current non-res FL license; both fresh and salt @ $32 ea. I didn't grumble then and as long as it's used for improving access and maintaining the resources I don't mind a bit. Let the tourist golf and see how much they fork over for that. I say a license to fish is a good thing only if the money goes toward protecting the resource. Everybody should pitch in but they should get their money's worth. Just an outsider opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
trouthunter said:
The money produced from a saltwater fishing license should be used to clean up the lakes, I don't mean set up trash cans everywhere and hope people will use them, it means get government workers to float around and clean up the messes. It makes sence to me...what do you think?
In all due respect I think using saltwater license money to clean up lakes makes as much sense as Crazy Horse saying the paperless license is a joke.
If you have fished in other states with the paperless set up the opinion would be different - like Louisiana. I promise - oh and using saltwater money for a trash can at Jordan lake? Dont even get it......

·
Registered
13 Posts
CapnStormy said:
In all due respect I think using saltwater
to clean up lakes makes as much sense as Crazy Horse saying the paperless license is a joke.
Actually Stormy the paperless license as it was concieved was a joke. You were not going to have to show any identification. You only had to provide your name and address, then DMF would verify that the name and address had a license.......................sorry, but I think that is a joke. BTW that was straight from a DMF officers mouth on the subject.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As I read this I ask my self why are they messing with freshwater fishermen too. From what I can comprehend they want to add that everybody have a freshwater fishing license regardless of what they are useing to lure the fish to their hook. Some of the folks who fish under the present law are going to be hurt as this is the way they put meat on their table. They are having a hard enough time making ends meet now and this maybe the nail in the coffin so to speak for some of them. They also changed it form lifetime hunting and fishing license to the sportsman license. Hey suckers not everybody that fishes hunts so as I understand it people with lifetime licenses are going to have to buy this too. I see no provision for those that have the disablilties fishing license either. Again if this is not changed these people will loose out too.

If I am wrong in my observations would somebody please advise before I get mad and backlash the toilet paper again. :mad:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
luremaker said:
Has anybody seen the new saltwater fishing license regulations yet that a layman can understand.
What type of saltwater fishing do you plan on doing? I'm no lawyer, but it wasn't difficult to see that I ought to have a license when the church group heads for the surf at Hatteras in '07. As I recall, if you're hiring a charter or fishing from a pier, the operator ought to have a license that covers his/her paid customers, so you ought not have to worry about that.

If you're looking for the brackish area of the law to find a way to wiggle into a particular situation, I can't help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
SW Rec Fishing License

I wouldn't mind a license if they used the money for some real scientific work on fisheries management and not just have staffnics read the paper and call charter and commercial captains for their "scientific data". We had one in MD and learned to live with it. One thing I'd like to see in NC's is the recreational boat license we had in MD. For a $25-35 annual fee the Captain got a personal and his/her guests on the boat were also covered. Saves hosts, guests, & some visitors the hassle of one-day or one-week like licenses, and the state saves administration costs. You got an annual color fish sticker like the registration one to put at the other end your regis #s so Nat Resources enforcement could easily see you were covered. I sent this thought in during the state comment period but don't think they bought it. RickZ

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
RickZ said:
One thing I'd like to see in NC's is the recreational boat license we had in MD. For a $25-35 annual fee the Captain got a personal and his/her guests on the boat were also covered. Saves hosts, guests, & some visitors the hassle of one-day or one-week like licenses, and the state saves administration costs. You got an annual color fish sticker like the registration one to put at the other end your regis #s so Nat Resources enforcement could easily see you were covered. I sent this thought in during the state comment period but don't think they bought it. RickZ
That idea makes a lot of sense. Basically what they do for charter boats but for private boats. That way if my wife who rarely fishes but often goes with me on the boat happens to touch a pole, she is covered. Plus of course the other reasons you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i do not really agree with this fishing liscence junk. the only reason they are doing it is to get more money from the tourist that come into the state for vacation. and we are here just having to pay. i think if they are only making people pay for fishing inshore and 3 miles offshore. there is just as many fisherman going out to the gulf stream. why can they charge them. becuase it is considered federal water and not state. i think if they charge for state waters they should charge for federal waters. the only reason i am saying that is because the ones that can afford to go out to the stream probably has enough money to pay for the liscence. sorry but i am in the military and north carolina stinks when it comes to military discounts. not saying i dont love it there but give me a break.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

ya know i have to agree with him.. the lakes in this state are hands down the worst for having trash in them.. i have fished all over the country and the nc lakes look the most like a land fill i have ever seen..

zooker

·
Registered
46 Posts
Unfortunately this reflects on the trashy culture of those using these resources. I recently helped with a volunteer cleanup of the Pamlico River and was very disappointed to find bait boxes, lure packages, and used line discarded by trashy fisherman. A good percentage of the beer cans and soda bottles probably came from them too. We need to clean up our own act.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I totally agree. Nothing ticks me off more then finding a worm cup or a beer bottle left in an area. I think if you get caught doing this then you should lose your fishing priviliges for a year or more. Also, I take an extra pouch along with me to put line in in case of problems and I have to cut some off.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Growing up, fishing with my folks, my Mom would build a little fire to keep mosquitoes away with the smoke. She would then walk around the area and clean up all of the junk left behind by others. She burned what she could and bagged up the rest. Now, even if I'm out on a boat, I'll scoop floating junk out of the water and bag it. I figure if one person in 20 cleans up rather than leaves behind we can make a difference. I'm appaled at how many people who claim to "LOVE" the outdoors are so quick to destroy it!! I fish the Pamlico River and I see what a mess it is both on shore and in the water.
THANKS RICKZ!!!!!! I wish I had known about the cleanup, I would have attended!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts