NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 guides in the last NC sportsman said plenty of trout are being caught and the season should be reopened. I caught a very healthy 18 or 19 incher yesterday and know of others who are tearin them up. What do you guys think.

PS yesterday I saw 2 older guys on the water who said all they'd caught was some small trout and a small drum. Well about 10 minutes later they pulled the boat up to their dock and were cleanin fish........

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
those 18-19 inchers are breeding stock , open the season and you also open the netters. I say let it have some more recovery time, get those eggs laid.. I would go so far as to support a staggered season on all "sport fish", which Drum Flounder, Specks and Striper should ALL be!, rotating species as the months go by to allow you to be fishing for something you CAN keep and enjoying catching your "by catch". But all the regulations in the world isn't going to help the netting and Enforcement issues NC faces now..

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. The no netting is helping the trout more than anything. I'm not determined to keep trout either. I just wonder if theres actually a shortage that's all.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
those 18-19 inchers are breeding stock , open the season and you also open the netters. I say let it have some more recovery time, get those eggs laid.. I would go so far as to support a staggered season on all "sport fish", which Drum Flounder, Specks and Striper should ALL be!, rotating species as the months go by to allow you to be fishing for something you CAN keep and enjoying catching your "by catch". But all the regulations in the world isn't going to help the netting and Enforcement issues NC faces now..
It's not just netters. PLENTY of illegal drum come ashore from places like CALO as well as other beaches.
I don't know many surf fishermen that drum fished for years for meat that have quit drum fishing because they couldn't keep what they caught. When you still see them drum fishing, you know what's happening under the cover of darkness without having to see it.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I know plenty of Recs that run "by the truck" 2 or 3 times a trip too. I'm not one of them. And I have no respect for those who are.

It's not just netters. PLENTY of illegal drum come ashore from places like CALO as well as other beaches.
I don't know many surf fishermen that drum fished for years for meat that have quit drum fishing because they couldn't keep what they caught. When you still see them drum fishing, you know what's happening under the cover of darkness without having to see it.

Reactions: Bruce

·
Registered
206 Posts
The fish kills didn't affect all the areas of the Pamlico and the Neuse...we have been on the trout and catching them in places we don't normally this time of year....keep it closed till after the spawn...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Keep it closed. I'm the worlds worst trout fisherman and I found some recently. Hated throwing them back, but hopefully I'll get another shot at them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts