NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a fishing log program? I downloaded the Strike King app ($1.99) from tunes. I like that it automatically downloads weather, location, and a number of other things. You can take pictures and show where they were caught. It appears to overlay it's data on google maps.

Hopefully this will help me with my CRS issue.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For me learning is not a problem It's remembering. And with this group I fished the shore, central and mountain waters. And I am new to all but Harris and some trout streams.

I am looking forward to trying this program out Sunday. I am fishing part of the Neuse. It is suppose to be able to record way points and show them on google maps. I am going to mark the entry point and the two exit points. And if I catch anything I will take photos with it and the program is suppose to mark where you caught it with a picture.

mikeski

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I use one of the most advanced journals known to man. I was born with it, and "most" of you were born with one too ;)
Me too. If it gets lost or stolen I wont have to worry about fishing anymore anyways.

I kept a paper log for several years, I havent looked at it since my last entry.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, I understand. I am not anal enough to fill in all the blanks. For me it's where did I go. I was just fishing Harris. Now I have done part of the Neuse a couple times. And I had no idea what to expect water wise. And then there was remembering where I put in last time. I was following.

So for learning these new areas I think it will be helpful to document where and what the conditions were. Beyond that I am not looking for it to help me catch fish.

mikeski

·
Registered
748 Posts
I never got into the logs so now I started using google maps for water bodies I fish and every keeper I catch gets a map dot with the bait and month. It has already started paying dividends and I've done it a year and a half. Anything over 3# gets a star and the stars are becoming more numerous lol.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I keep a note in my iPhone notes app. I log number, size and bait used. I have started looking at creating an excel spreadsheet to start logging conditions every time I go out etc. but will wait till the wi ther lull before working on it. If someone has one started and want to share send it to me maybe we can develop one to share.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I keep a note in my iPhone notes app. I log number, size and bait used. I have started looking at creating an excel spreadsheet to start logging conditions every time I go out etc. but will wait till the wi ther lull before working on it. If someone has one started and want to share send it to me maybe we can develop one to share.
I keep mine on an Excel file. Here is what I currently have that I track. I've stopped tracking photo period and moon phase except for spring time, however. The info in the pattern/trip notes is pretty lengthy, basically a recap of the trip. I've also started taking snaps from google maps and marking where I fished and where I caught fish.

Body of Water
City/State
Date
Hours
Water Color
Visibility
Temperature Water
Temperature Air
Skies
Wind
Total Catch
My Catch
Catch Depth
Largest Fish
Species
Pattern / Trip Notes
Sunrise
Sunset
Moonrise
Moonset
Moon Phase
Photo Period
Total Catch
Number of fish by weight
>7
<2

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I started out using a log and I think it helped at first. It helped me focus on things other than pulling a lure through the water, like air temp, water temp, season, etc. Once you get experience with that info and what it "might" do to fish behaviors, I think the log served it's purpose. After that initial information was gathered, I think it hampered my success because I would rely on it literally. Since I had a small repertoire of baits I had "confidence" in, I didn't learn much when I didn't catch anything.

Until I got out of my box and started playing with other baits and learning what they can do in given situations, I was stale. I looked at my info, and repeated exactly what I did the last time things lined up the way in the log, and found that I didn't catch anything. Was a nice starting point, but made my fishing too rigid.

It is more important to me to catch fish. The log might give some starting info but I have found too many times that just because its the middle of winter, I can still catch shallow bass on a weightless super fluke. Or, just because it is mid April, bass aren't always on the beds. In either case, the log didn't help and I had to regroup to find the fish.

Yes, water temp and all is important to know, but the fish often behave so different than what we think, or predict, that the logs become unreliable for accurate info.

In fact, many pros erase all way points in their GPS units after each tourney, even if they are going to be back on that lake again, so they always have a fresh outlook and find new fish.

Reactions: hellomcfly2

·
Registered
360 Posts
I keep a simple log on a spreadsheet (google).
Date, start_time, End_time, calc_hours, Company, # fish, #LMB, #crappie, #panfish, calc_fish/hr, weight, comments

I also summarize on another page so I can easily see which ponds are producing. It's helped to keep me from fishing unproductive locations simple because access was easy.

I've found times of year where I have trouble catching fish. And I've found times of year where it looks like I don't catch much but it's really that I don't fish much at those times. Hard catch fish when you don't have the line wet.

It's mostly just fun to look back.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I started out using a log and I think it helped at first. It helped me focus on things other than pulling a lure through the water, like air temp, water temp, season, etc. Once you get experience with that info and what it "might" do to fish behaviors, I think the log served it's purpose. After that initial information was gathered, I think it hampered my success because I would rely on it literally. Since I had a small repertoire of baits I had "confidence" in, I didn't learn much when I didn't catch anything.

Until I got out of my box and started playing with other baits and learning what they can do in given situations, I was stale. I looked at my info, and repeated exactly what I did the last time things lined up the way in the log, and found that I didn't catch anything. Was a nice starting point, but made my fishing too rigid.

It is more important to me to catch fish. The log might give some starting info but I have found too many times that just because its the middle of winter, I can still catch shallow bass on a weightless super fluke. Or, just because it is mid April, bass aren't always on the beds. In either case, the log didn't help and I had to regroup to find the fish.

Yes, water temp and all is important to know, but the fish often behave so different than what we think, or predict, that the logs become unreliable for accurate info.

In fact, many pros erase all way points in their GPS units after each tourney, even if they are going to be back on that lake again, so they always have a fresh outlook and find new fish.
i totally agree with this. for my google maps, i intentionally leave out most info, marking only location and size and vague label of bait used. family wants more info added, but i explained that i wanted at little to sway what i do there next time as possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.