NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to fishing in populated areas and I need to know what is the proper etiquette for fishing behind peoples homes and around docks. I always feel funny if I am getting anywhere near someones home or docks. I feel like I am invading someones privacy even though the water is public domain. Am I right to feel this way or am I being silly.......Are there "rules' for this?
I really want to fish the dock structures/grass lines but I feel like I am trespassing....:confused:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If someone is on or near it I always give them their space but otherwise it is just a place for the fish to hide from the sun. As long as I can fish it without snagging dock lines or endangering boats and such It is fair game. The dock and anything attached to it should be respected as private property and risky manuevering and casting shouldn't be attempted. Keep your eyes peeled for crab traps and such attached with lighter lines.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Stick and move... definately do not get on the dock/seawall, be polite and acknowledge the home owner(s) if they're out, and read body language... if they appear agitated,, probably move down to the next dock/pilings..ect... Usually not a problem, but you can always catch someone in a bad mood on the wrong day.. otherwise.. keep on fishin unless someone starts to give you grief and if you hook the dock/boat lift/boat house ect... I'd probably just chalk it up to a loss instead of messing around trying to free it... folks get a little concerned quick if they see you messing around their stuff even if it's innocent.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's kinda how I figured it was. You should expect a little traffic if you live on the water... I'd never touch anything and I'd cut my line before I even tugged a rope or trap.
Thanks gang!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I fish around the docks at Ocean Isle when I'm down there. Most people are eager to chat when you pass by. I usually don't fish them if there's anyone on the dock. Like Dave said , if someone seems miffed at you being there just best to pass it by.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It tees me off when a dock owner post signs on their dock reading "No fishing within 50 ft" or "keep back 25 yards" or something like that. I usualy cast as close as I can to their dock. Most dock owners are nice but some think they own their dock along with the water and any fish nearby. If there's someone on the dock I just move on.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I'm no lawyer but, I think they would have a really hard time enforcing (No Fishing with 50 ft) on navigable water.
When it comes to tidal water, no one owns it or the land under it (technically the public does and our govt. controls it). So those signs are not enforceable. However many of those signs are posted 'cause the owner has had a problem in the past. Take warning - they will probably be the least tolerant if you accidentally come in contact with their property (they do own the dock and anything tied to it).

With that said, I try to be very respectful of other folks docks and property. I fish docks all the time and find most of the dock owners are very friendly if you just show them respect. I know there is an odd one or two out there though - when I run across one - I leave and keep my distance in the future - after all around here there are plenty of docks!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It tees me off when a dock owner post signs on their dock reading "No fishing within 50 ft" or "keep back 25 yards" or something like that. I usualy cast as close as I can to their dock. Most dock owners are nice but some think they own their dock along with the water and any fish nearby. If there's someone on the dock I just move on.
There is reasoning behind it. Sometimes they have grandchildren or children who swim there and they want to keep hooks and line out of the swimming holes. Makes sense to me so I respect it. Good friend of mine has a beautiful hole on John's River. It is used for family and friends to swim. No fishing. You can fish above or below it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
If the owner is out on the dock using it I would move on if the fishing would interfere with their activities. Otherwise I would go ahead and fish it thoroughly and then move on. As said above if you are on the water fishing from a boat the owner doesn't have a leg to stand on by trying to enforce some footage restriction. As I said if they are obviously using the dock the right thing to do would be to just move on.

·
Registered
715 Posts
There is reasoning behind it. Sometimes they have grandchildren or children who swim there and they want to keep hooks and line out of the swimming holes. Makes sense to me so I respect it. Good friend of mine has a beautiful hole on John's River. It is used for family and friends to swim. No fishing. You can fish above or below it.
You do have a point there Crummy if its a swimming area but the lake I have seen those posted signs are not swimming holes, the dock owner fishes there, he just doesn't want anyone else fishing near his "fishing spot".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.