1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm sure it is but the gene pool is what makes them monsters. We have another lake with the same temps with a type of northern strain largemouth that a 5 fish sack weighing in over 10lbs (for the entire bag) means your getting a check. At a Florida strain lake sometimes even 20lbs isn't enough weight to put you into the money.
Embrace the Florida strain. They may take a bit longer to grow with a cooler winter but the size potential is much greater. Maybe the Gorilla bass is an option to suggest to the wildlife department??? It's another newer strain of if the Northern Large Mouth and more susceptible to cooler waters from what I understand.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Without constraints of temperature and 'growing season' clearly the Fla strain would be bigger. I wonder if it works the other way around, though. If Florida strain largemouth occupy waters that spend weeks to months in the low 40's to high 30's temps, would they still grow that much larger than the indiginous ones? I have not done any reading on that yet, but the two comparisons might not necessarily equate.

Reactions: gambusia

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Yes...............if you want an answer just look at Virginia. Briery creek lake has produced a 16 lber.....Bigger than anything caught from there to Sc.........

·
Registered
25 Posts
We've had Florida bass in Lakes in Oklahoma for a few years now and have just in the past year started to see the impact in the tournament arena....MONSTER...compared to what we had already....but if I remember reading about them right...the size isn't the only benefit....they have a longer life span than what we had already which means in a few more years the potential for a World record size bass out of Oklahoma is a real possibility! This would help out the tourism industry throughout the state....good for Oklahoma! But I'm stay in NC!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.