NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi thanks for reading my post. saw the moon chart was almost full is that a good thing? Does it realy matter to the fish? If so do we know why?
I think the reason there is more crime/crazyness of full moons is simply cause the hoodlems can see better to go raise **** and run from the cops all night:) Thats my two cents....whats yours?

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I think it may have more to do with spawning cycles than anything. I'm not one to follow the moon phases and plan my trips accordingly...I just fish, and usually end up catching some bass regardless of the moon phase.

As to the crime, maybe some truth in the "being able to see better" line of thought...hmmmm...

Reactions: FASTDONZI

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I dont pay them any mind. Regardless of moon phase I need to figure the fish out and catch them.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think it depends on the type of fishing, reason I say that is last weekend while catfishing, when the moon was up and lighting up the water, the bite died. I have heard this from many other people too.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I was paying attention to the solunar tables for awhile, and while I think I noticed at least some correlation, it was iffy at best, and other factors seemed to outweigh it (local weather, etc.)

Lately, I've even started to question the "conventional wisdom" (or at least what I always heard) - that fish are more active at dawn/dusk. I've been going out pretty early in the morning lately (6 AM), and getting very little action until around 10 AM, then things seem to really pick up from say 11 AM to 1 PM, then die down again.

That said - I've caught my 3 largest bass ever on topwater baits at dusk or after dark, but even then, other factors were involved - for 2 of the 3, it was just after a big rain storm.

So - if I were planning a big trip, I might check out the solunar tables, but for everyday fishing, I just go when I can.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the link. GREAT article.
Now for the weather. I have always had better luck on the "approaching" of a front. After the front passes and the dreaded NE wind blows the fishing turns off. Why is that?

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
In my experience, the fish may turn off to what you have been doing before the front, but that doesn't mean you have to go without catching fish. You will probably just have to do something else to catch them.

Sometimes, because it might take a while to figure them out, people think the fish don't bite after a front, but they still do...just not necessarily the same way or on the same things.

With winds shifting, the the plankton shifts, the baitfish follow and the predators eventually find them. If the baitfish were heavy in an area before the front, the predators will still be hanging around after...they won't be that far away from the feeding areas. You may need to slow down, or use something that crawls on the bottom as opposed to working the top. You may have to fish tighter to cover or they may have dropped back to a ledge or channel, but they can still be caught.

In bass tournaments, it's the angler that figures it out first that usually gets the biggest checks when fronts pass through.

Reactions: oldlake

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Well said Lewis. I have done terrible on an incoming front and put a hurting on the them the day after, just a matter of making the right changes.

Just look at results from any tournament with 100+ boats, theres always a few guys who find the quality fish and a good portion of the rest of the field catches fairly decent sacks too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it may have more to do with spawning cycles than anything. I'm not one to follow the moon phases and plan my trips accordingly...I just fish, and usually end up catching some bass regardless of the moon phase.

As to the crime, maybe some truth in the "being able to see better" line of thought...hmmmm...
I also think so.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My dad used to say that fishing was tough when the moon was visible in the day time. Especially if it is less than full and inverted with the concave side down because it couldn't hold luck in it that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts