NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I was wondering if you were fishing these dog days in the triangle area. I am really in the mood to fish. But it's 90+ and the lake waters are warm also.

I was at Harris Tuesday evening and there were only a handful of boats out fishing.

I was thinking about going this evening. Maybe back to Harris. If for no other reason than to find some holes my Navionics is showing me. Maybe run across a brush pile.

The nice thing about the kayak is you go slow to start and it's easy to backtrack to remark something.

mikeski

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
For bass fish after seven till about thirty minutes after dark when it's this hot. But they will bite all day in the shade. I like under bridges. If you're not picky, the heat of the day is the best time for gar and blackfish in about any creek or river.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not done much in the rivers and creeks. And shade is our friend. I hear that.

mikeski

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
If you don't mind smaller than bass type fish, rumor has it ;) that the white perch have been blitzing around cove mouths in Harris from time to time...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Usually fish at night, but got a chance to go today. Caught two decent bucket mouths but came home lookin like a lobstaa.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Fish gotta eat no matter the weather. You got to find the fish.
That's why some of the best trophy bass fishing is in the winter. They gotta eat.

In the summer though I fished Harris mainly at night after most folks had gone home. During the week I'd hit it from around 6 pm to 11 or midnight. 3 to 4 nights a week. Saturday nights I'd get on the boat with a tailgate special from Bo and stay the duration.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I managed to snag one bass about 1.5lb. No other hits. Near where I snagged a white perch the other day. Was quiet out there.

mikeski

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Like drumrunner said, they are out there to be caught and have to eat, just got to find them.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've always had some of my best days of the yr bass fishing durin the "dog days". 10-15fow on cranks. Can't remember how many 5 fish limits I've caught over 25 lbs total. they are schooled up then an accurate presentation is crucial. I've caught 3-8 giant bass on successive casts off the same stump! use a crank that will hit the top of the stump, not the bottom around it. and get good line-ups!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts