NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How bout a thread on cool stuff you found out the dollar store that you use/re-purpose for fishing?

e.g., i bought a pack of 100 hair bands -- will use them on spinning reels and spools of fishing line to hold line in place. A pack of plastic utility knives for a buck can always find a use at my workbench or gear bag. Found a pack of 6 precision screwdrivers that'll I can always use to work on reels. Got big bottles of isopropyl alcohol that I use to clean up after epoxy, super glue, etc. The dollar store always has a selection of super glue in regular and gel -- can't ever have too much of that around.

beyond the dollar stores: browsing the hobby shelves at Wally World I found a big pack of thin bungie cord material for $1.99 that I'll use for leashes on my kayak.

Seems like I got some of these ideas from Sundrop but I'd bet others have great ideas as well. Most of this stuff is course cheaply made and disposable, but sometimes that's just what I want/need.

// joel

·
Registered
441 Posts
Interesting topic, it will be nice to see what comes out of it!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get those plastic spray bottles for a buck. I fill them up with fresh water and spray down my rods & reels after use in salt water.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Lots of crafty stuff for lure making, cheap permanent markers for dolling up or changing hardbaits, nail polish remover is acetone, very good for cleaning, cheap tools you can toss in a lockbox for emergency boat repairs, soak bucktails in hydrogen peroxide to clean and brighten the tails without damaging the fibers, soak rust spoon, hooks in vinegar to clean them, baking soda for cleaning coolers, also "bar keepers friend" is good for coolers and boat stains. LED lights, batteries, string, cheap camping cooking storage and utensils you can toss rather than keep up so the wife isn't looking for her "good pans". If you have small kids and try to take them fishing you know how quickly they can lose interest. Keep a coloring book or some plastic toys, sand toys etc handy to toss at them when they get "whiny". Zip ties, superglue, and black/duct tape have saved many a trip!! and lets not forget the cheap snacks/treats, picnic salt/pepper, hot sauce. And if you forgot your fish attractant, grab a few cans of sardines in oil, or corn oil and garlic powder and dip your baits.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
I bought that walmart bungee cord material for the same purpose, and it works great.

I did buy a bunch of carabiners from the dollar store (2-3 to a pack for a buck) that I tie to each end of the bungee cord.... And I clip one end of the carabiner to a soft cooler, tackle bag, or even a fishing rod between the reel and the first eye. The other end goes to an attachment on the kayak, and nothing gets lost.

Also... The dollar store small LED flashlights are great for your white light on a kayak... I keep one clipped to my life vest, and another in the tackle box.

Something I tried that didn't work: Craft store stick on magnet strips (bag of 20 for like $2) for lure storage (hooks stick to the magnet) They would work, but they unstuck from the kayak when really wet. Maybe with some super glue? Haven't tried it yet

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Fly guys have stated that some of the doll hair can be good material for their flies.
My favorite easy to tie salt water fly that I have actually caught fish on is a streamer made with various strands from the rainbow colored poly dusters. One duster will last a very long time.

Also for fly tying, I use dollar store clear nail polish as head cement. If you tie a lot you might not like this idea as it dries a little slower, but by that I mean a couple of minutes instead of only a few seconds before you can toss it in the box.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If you have small kids and try to take them fishing you know how quickly they can lose interest. Keep a coloring book or some plastic toys, sand toys etc handy to toss at them when they get "whiny". Zip ties, superglue, and black/duct tape have saved many a trip!!
And I thought I had it tough as a kid. :confused: :eek: :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone know where I could buy a cheap, lightweight messenger-type bag? It's the kind of thing companies often give away as promotional thingies at conferences, events, etc. Issue is that I like to use them to store loose tackle on my kayak -- prefer that over a regular tackle bag for some things (I have a tackle bag already).

thrift store may be the best place to look, but surely someone sells unused leftovers? No sign of anything like at the dollar store.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Yard sales.... or church rummage sale.

I buy them when I see them... I learned from DBeam to buy a few camera bags when you see them for 50 cents or so, you never know when you need a small tackle bag.

If you want new... Try Ollies or Big Lots.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Have you tried 5 and Below? Not sure if there is one around Hillsborough or not. The one at Crossroads has had them in the past; not sure what they currently have.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great stuff, guys -- just what I was hoping for. Will check Ollie's and Big Lots, as well as Harbor Freight. Never heard of Five and Below, but turns out there's one at New Hope Commons area (Durham) which is convenient for me. We could probably mine all those stores for fishing related stuff -- I know HF has been a great spot for all kinds of products to support my fishing habit, e.g., small tires (on sale for $3.99) that I used on my kayak cart -- but also a whole box of hitch and/or cotter pins of various sizes (cart), as well as caribiners, marine grade wire shrink wrap, cheap head lamps, etc etc. (the HF list could get very long!).

thanks again -- will report back soon.

// joel

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Love me some Harbor Freight! and sometimes Tractor Supply has some interesting goodies too.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got a new Tractor Supply in Hillsborough -- picked up a box of nitrile gloves (super glue, epoxy, grease, etc) and long black UV-resistant cable ties (kayak!).

Reactions: RouseD and dbeam
1 - 20 of 63 Posts