NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sent to me and I'm passing on. I think it should be boycotted as well.
This BITES!

Today I picked up at Bank of America several of the new $1.00 coins with the picture of George Washington on it. To my shock and dismay the words, "In God We Trust", are not on this coin! A quick search of the other coin denominations in my collection confirmed that every one contained these faithful words. The new George Washington $1.00 coin is the first money ever issued by the USA in modern history without the words "In God We Trust". By omitting these words, our politically correct, secularist leaders made a conscientious decision that either; 1) God does not exist, or 2) that God exists, but can no longer be trusted. I am personally offended and fed up with the denigration of God and Christianity in my country. I am certain George Washington would never have agreed to his picture on the coin if it any way diminished faith in God. What can we do to show our displeasure? First of all, let's boycott the coin. Do not ask for it at banks. If it is given to you in change ask for dollar bills instead and tell the person why. Write your Senators stating your displeasure. Finally, if you agree, pass this e-mail on to others. Collectively, we must send a strong message to those secularists who are trying to remove God from our culture. If we do this, some 300 million $1.00 coins will back up and rot in the supply chain! To God be the glory!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Re: Don't except new dollar coins

1st rule of the internet: check any conspiracy theory or incredible story/pic sent to you in email against snopes: Urban Legends Reference Pages: New Dollar Coins and 'In God We Trust'

According to this post, some of the familiar currency phrases, including "In God We Trust" and "E Pluribus Unum" are being imbedded in the coin edges rather than on the face.

2nd rule of the internet: nobody is 100% right, even snopes. I'll reserve personal judgment until I see one for myself.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Re: Don't except new dollar coins

Exactly. I was about to post a message similiar to yours Jeff as I was reading the original post. I had read where they "moved" the placement of "In God We Trust" when they were announcing the new coin.

However - I think the coin is doomed to failure anyway, just as all other dollar coins have been. Until they quit making the paper ones anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
3 things I think, given a couple hours to think about it:

1) I do think its pretty cool that they're stamping on the edge. Seems like an interesting engineering problem. Creative use of real-estate.

2) I think there is some merit to the slippery slope conspiracy theory of moving "In God We Trust" off the face and onto the edge. Worth keeping some debate around, in my own humble opinion. As a country we either are or are not willing to maintain the principles that we were founded on. I'd like to see that topic addressed at face value, but that's not the "subtil" nature of things that pull away from the foundation. Some of the inevitabilities of earthly life are that ideologies change, governments change, and currency follows. "...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" .

3) Topsail is right. I won't use the coins if I've still got a wallet full of $1 bills. I hadn't ever thought about getting rid of the paper dollars, but why not. Hardly anything costs a quarter anymore anyway, so it doesn't really make sense as our largest carry-able coin. If it really saves money and/or is more efficient for folks, lets get it done. Otherwise its just the guberment pandering to the coin hobbyists, which sounds like a waste of my tax dollars... If they're going to pander, lets see more pandering to constituencies that I care about, like NCanglers!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
3) Topsail is right. I won't use the coins if I've still got a wallet full of $1 bills. I hadn't ever thought about getting rid of the paper dollars, but why not. Hardly anything costs a quarter anymore anyway, so it doesn't really make sense as our largest carry-able coin. If it really saves money and/or is more efficient for folks, lets get it done. Otherwise its just the guberment pandering to the coin hobbyists, which sounds like a waste of my tax dollars... If they're going to pander, lets see more pandering to constituencies that I care about, like NCanglers!
It cost far more to keep paper currency in circulation than it does coins. I don't temember the exact numbers but I do remember it was a HUGE difference. Canada eliminated the paper dollar a decade or more a go - we should too.

But "In God We Trust" needs to stay on what ever currency we use!

·
Registered
791 Posts
I checked the coins we had in our jar toinght they all had it stamped on them.. they were minted in 2000 though.. not this years.

I thought it odd when I read this that they would drop it off the coin,, but a slip up makes more sense.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.