NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t chew up your equipment

I have noticed in the past several years a strange trend towards holding your fishing rod in your mouth while having your picture made with your catch. I first noticed this in some of the more popular fly fishing magazines. It would be some guide in Wyoming with a nice little cut throat and a little #2 weight rod stuck in his mouth. I suppose they were trying to get the rod & reel into the picture. Maybe for sponsors or maybe they were just proud of their equipment, I am not sure. I admit when I first saw this strange phenomenon and fishing myself for little brookies with light tackle I tried it shortly after thinking it must be the latest and greatest technique for posing with your fish and your outfit. I promptly discovered that it is a strange sensation, graphite and tooth enamel don’t mix. My dentist is and angler and I couldn’t imagine trying to explain to him the manner in which I cracked my tooth. And the ensuing balancing act was a little to much work for posing. How far from your mouth does the reel need to be and there was a leverage issue it was just too complicated. What truly showed me the error in my ways was to see the photo later. I looked like some sort of weird swashbuckling angler.

In the years after, I have noticed and increase in this trend. I have to believe it is a subliminal thing that has grown in seeing more and more guys posing in this manner. They saw it, tried as I did, and it stuck. Only the others fail to see the strange appearance you have. Sort of a kinky, S&M, gag thing going on with a fishing pole in your mouth. The other thing I noticed was these weren’t the tiny little #2 weight outfits as seen early on, no these were everything. I saw a tarpon angler trying to hold up this beautiful big fish with a big #13 weight and reel to match not near as delicately crammed in his mouth. I mean what’s next a tuna fisherman standing on the pier by a 200 lbs. fish with a big standup rod & reel dangling from his lips.

The cover of a recent popular magazine was more than I could stand. The guy, on the cover no less, has a nice trout he is posing with and there perched firmly in his jaws is his bait casting outfit. Not even a particularly nice outfit at that or even a fly rod. In the process of getting the necessary vise like grip on the rod he has managed to get the line in-between the rod and his teeth. Most of us go to great pains to protect our lines from any nick or scrap and here this bozo is taking a big bite out of his. I would hate to loose my next fish because I was the one that bite and nicked my line. I suppose he was trying to smile. I would, I mean here he is on the cover of this great magazine only he has this strange self imposed gag look on his face. What do you want to bet this picture is hanging on the wall in his office?

Fellow anglers I implore you to reframe from this ridiculous pose. If you must have your tackle in the picture invite a friend to hold it. There is a great picture on the cover of another great magazine of to guys, ones holding a nice Bonita and the other is holding the weapon used to capture the magnificent beast. If you must hold something in your mouth make it a big cigar, a nice Macunudo or even Cuban if you can get it. But I believe the best option is a big ole toothy smile.

Tight Lines, Marty Owens

·
Registered
574 Posts
My guess would be it started because someone didn't want to place their expensive rod and reel on the ground where it could fall in the water or get nicked by rocks, stepped on etc. I don't have a problem with it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you suggesting that every time you need to be hands free while fishing that you place your rod in your mouth. I dont think so.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Are you suggesting that every time you need to be hands free while fishing that you place your rod in your mouth. I dont think so.
I didn't get that impression -- I thought he suggested that holding it in your mouth was better than laying it down on the sand, or just dropping it into a stream -- in which case I'd tend to agree. If I can put it in a rod holder, or lean it against a tree, or let a buddy hold it, or even put it in a pocket and clip it to a fancy clippie thingy in my fancy fisherman's PFD, sure, I'll do that... but I do think I'd probably hold it in my mouth before I just dropped it on the sand.

I do not think I'd do it just to make a "cool" pose. I very much agree with you on that one.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
488 Posts
Holding the rod in your mouth is a little dangerous also. What if you lose control of your recent record breaking catch before you get it the hook out? The fish hits the water taking line and the rod out of your clenched teeth which sounds alot painful. I just tuck the rod under my arm and it frees my hands to handle the fish and my gear dosen't touch the ground to have a chance of getting messed up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The biggest problem that I have with holding the rod in the mouth is being able to judge how much line your letting out on the back cast. Think about it, your having to look out to the side and then you lose sight of what your aiming at. It also just puts a bunch of wear and tear on the ol neck all that whipping back and forth before you know it whiplash sets in. Plus it's real awkward trying to work the reel when the handle is so close to the lip and if the fish runs the handle starts whacking you across the lips going ppfffftttt .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Marty Owens-
THANK YOU for writing this article. The rod in the mouth is the ABSOLUTE DUMBEST looking pose I have ever seen. Rod in the sand and mud-I call BS. I wade a lot with my spinning gear and fly gear and have never-ever had to bite my rod to keep it out of the water, sand, rocks, etc. while posing or unhooking fish. Not only does it look bad it also will ruin the finish on your rod.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Old post I know. But I end the comments above with the crazy idea that a tuna fisherman would put his rod in his mouth for a picture. Today on Tackledirects website. Some idiot with a big tuna rod in his mouth. People I implore you. Good Grief!!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Eight years later and folks are still "chomping down" on their fly rods. Just had a friend say "get my picture with my rod in my teeth!"...."like all those other guys." Marty, you may be in an uphill struggle. I am still holding back on pulling pants the rest of the way down when I see them worn below the butt exposing boxers in living color....

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Well Dang! All these years, I've been doing it wrong by tucking my rod into the crook of my arm. I REALLY need to be cooler and start posing like a real fisherman/pirate..with my flyrod between my teeth. I guess I need to order a skull and crossbones sticker to put on my boat too.
Don't forget to add the Salt Lift sticker.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.