NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the size of his catch! I fished for two hours for this little guy and I was happy to feel the bite! First surf catch of the year. Had something bite a finger mullet in half and had a few sand fleas bitten in half also. Btw sand fleas were all over. Not very active but anywhere I dug on the beach I found them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
A lot of people think sand fleas "go away" for the winter but they don't. They aren't migratory.
They are always there but they locate different in the surf zone. In the summer you can most often dig them easily wearing a pair of your best tennis shoes and a decent rake. Winter they will be just a tad more distant. You might want a pair of rubber boots.

In most cases it's just a matter of looking in the right spot and knowing what to look for.
I like the big fat ones for drum and the small ones for whities.
Caught many 30 and 40 pound class drum off big sand fleas. They'll hit the small ones as well.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Okay - you all can think I'm nuts here, but, as the OP titled the thread, don't judge a man until you've tried this. Then, by all means judge away and you can thank me later.

You know those little white sand fleas that the fish love so much . . . there's a reason. Try this - get a good number of them and keep them alive and fresh - bring them home on ice. Rinse them thoroughly, dust them in a little flour and old bay, and fry them up.

Crab popcorn - I kid you not. They are fabulous. Buddy of mine saw it on Anthony Bourdain on the food channel and decided to try it. He raved to me like I'm raving to you, so of course, being very prone to peer pressure when there is seafood and/or beer involved, I had to try it too. Only way to describe it is crab popcorn. The shell becomes brittle and makes a rather satisfying 'pop" when you bite into it and you you get a nice little crab flavor with a cool texture.

So, next time you find yourself at the beach and facing the prospect of heading back home empty handed, grab a bucket of these little morsals and see what the pompano have been raving about!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Man, I'm telling you, if you like crab, you will love these suckers. I can't believe more people don't do it! A little aioli (ketchup mayo horseradish garlic oregano) to dip it in, a cold Corona, a comfortable deck chair and a good view, and you've found a little slice of heaven. I'm thinking of a po' boy next time.

Man, my mouth is watering. Where did you say you found those sand fleas?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Swampin. What beach were you on? If the flea's are starting to show then the good fishing is not far behind. I agree with Drumrunner I have caught more drum on those things. I've even gotten in the habit of looking in a drum's stomach when I clean one and most of the time they are full of sand flea's.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Britts aint worth waiting in line for but I like them. As kids we used to make donuts. Open a can of biscuits. Knock a hole in the middle of a biscuit and drop in hot grease.
Pull it out of the grease and put in a bag of confection sugar and shake.

To me, Britts has always tasted like our biscuit donuts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.