NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was one of those inshore days that would turn out to be an unforgettable one. I promised Jeffonc that I’d post pics here as soon as I caught some fish from the Tarpon that he sold me the other week. The 16 footer handles beautifully, and I couldn’t be happier with it. Thanks again Jeff!

I launched from my regular spot, the marina in Hampstead near Kiwanis park. The morning started out nicely, although the wind was blowing against the outgoing tide. As usual, I decided to troll from my kayak with the wind, along the ends of the docks that I pass on the way to my drum spot. After about 15 minutes I hooked up with a nice 18 inch trout on a vudu shrimp. I usually release my first fish of the day, even if its a keeper, so this one went back in. I trolled a little while longer and caught a spike trout as well. After stopping and casting and getting bites but no more hook ups, I decided the rest were probably spikes, and I headed to my topwater area.

Once I arrived the drum were thick, and I went to my Spook Jr. I finally got one to rise on it, about a 16 inch fish that went back in the water. After becoming frustrated at seeing them tailing and chasing shrimp, but not my spook, I turned back to the Vudu Shrimp. Almost immediately I caught 3 more just under the slot on the shrimp. All of them put up a great fight for their size.

In the same general area I caught 2 keeper flounder, and they went in the box. However, neither would compare to the fish that was to come.

The tide went slack dead low, and I’m not usually successful unless the water is moving. I decided to go check out an oyster bar to see if there was deeper water near it, but on the way I noticed a large area of about 2 feet of water, with a sudden drop off, so I decided to anchor and make a cast with the vudu shrimp. After putting some more pro cure on it, I threw it right along the edge of the drop off. First cast I hopped it once, started my retrieve, then hopped it again, and when I started my retrieve again, dead weight, line moving to the side. There was no question this was a big fish because after the hook set I could feel it shaking its head from side to side. After a strong run I managed to turn him around-However, he peeled drag and bolted from the kayak each time I tried to boca grip it. This happened at least 3 times, and each time I saw the fish it made my heart race.

This was the first door mat that I have landed from a kayak, and it was a blast. He weighed in at 6 pounds on the dot, 24 inches long. Today I was able to get an inshore slam and my personal best flounder. Couldn’t have asked for a better day on the water.

Shorts Smile Sky Sleeve Cloud
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Yellow Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Automotive exterior Gas Luggage and bags Safety glove Glove

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
great day!!!!

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
That's fairly close to where I fish. Maybe the large flounder are coming on because a friend caught a 21" on top water in the creek yesterday.
That's a fish to be proud of for sure. Nice semi slam.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.