NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out today and was looking for drum. Casting all over, paddling all over same old story. No fish for me.
I decided to try a "Creek Chub" topwater popper that I got for almost nothing. I know this isn't a popular lure for drum but I figured I had nothing to lose. I was wrong. It was a brandy new lure and I had cut off one of the three treble hooks. I put it on my line and as I went to move it so I could cast one hook grabbed my right middle finger. I flinched and the bottom hook grabbed my left thumb right on the inside joint. After a second I looked at the right middle finger and saw the barb was exposed so it came out easily. Unfortunately the hook in the left thumb was buried up to the bend. I did as so many articles, videos etc recommend. I used a pair of cutting pliers that I keep in my box to cut the hooks from the lure. There was no way to slide them off the split rings with both hands bleeding. Once I got the hook off the lure and away from me I only had the one hook in my thumb to deal with. I took my fluoro leader and doubled it up and wrapped it around my rright hand. Then I placed the loop over the hook and pressed down on the shank of the hook. I counted to three (Actually I counted to three four times. I found en excuse to not yank on the first three counts) and I snatched hard on the leader material that was wrapped around my hand and the hook. The hook came out with zero pain. I pulled a small piece of thumb meat out with it but this was no problem. If you ever get an impaled hook use this method. And keep a pair of cutting pliers on board. This was a brand new lure with brand new hooks so I am not worried about any after affects.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
OUCH!!!!! I've had a lot of hooks but never in both hands at the same time.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Good thing you cut one hook off or you might have a spot for a nose ring... :eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist... :D

Hopefully you cleaned it up and sanitized; some nasty stuff out there. Your luck has to turn!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Glad to know this ended as well as it did. Good job having those cutting pliers handy -- they've become an essential tool for me when fishing. And pleased to know that technique worked to snatch out the hook. I understand in theory how it works, but never actually had to use it yet. It would take me a while to work up the courage to snatch it as well! But your experience gives me more confidence that it'll work when that time comes.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. The worst part, like most things that are bound to be uncomfortable, is the anticipation.

A little later I experienced something much more painful. My first destination was across the ICW from Virginia Creek. I thought I'd paddle around and prospect some of the small channels. I saw one other boat that was fishing. It was a red skiff with a young guy and his girlfriend. He was casting and moving around as I was. I saw him motor off after about two hours. I paddled back into the creek after about two more hours of feeding plastics to croaker and zero fish. I made a turn into a part of the creek I go along when the wind is blowing to make paddling easier plus there are some spots there I like to try. As I make the turn I see the same guy again and he is fishing a spot I was headed to. No big deal, I just went another way around. Two seconds later I look again and his rod is bent in half and he has a good fish and he tells his gf to get the camera. I couldn't bear to watch and I just kept on going. About 200 casts later I gave up. I guess that's what's called, "adding insult to injury"

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I went out today and was looking for drum. Casting all over, paddling all over same old story. No fish for me.
I decided to try a "Creek Chub" topwater popper that I got for almost nothing. I know this isn't a popular lure for drum but I figured I had nothing to lose. I was wrong. It was a brandy new lure and I had cut off one of the three treble hooks. I put it on my line and as I went to move it so I could cast one hook grabbed my right middle finger. I flinched and the bottom hook grabbed my left thumb right on the inside joint. After a second I looked at the right middle finger and saw the barb was exposed so it came out easily. Unfortunately the hook in the left thumb was buried up to the bend. I did as so many articles, videos etc recommend. I used a pair of cutting pliers that I keep in my box to cut the hooks from the lure. There was no way to slide them off the split rings with both hands bleeding. Once I got the hook off the lure and away from me I only had the one hook in my thumb to deal with. I took my fluoro leader and doubled it up and wrapped it around my rright hand. Then I placed the loop over the hook and pressed down on the shank of the hook. I counted to three (Actually I counted to three four times. I found en excuse to not yank on the first three counts) and I snatched hard on the leader material that was wrapped around my hand and the hook. The hook came out with zero pain. I pulled a small piece of thumb meat out with it but this was no problem. If you ever get an impaled hook use this method. And keep a pair of cutting pliers on board. This was a brand new lure with brand new hooks so I am not worried about any after affects.
No Pics...?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Happens to the best of us.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
OUCH! and those look like 4x hooks!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
That's awsome....I got a gotcha in my leg last year with a 4 lb blue on the other end...that was not fun.
Self operation went down...on site...successful....and commenced fishing....fish were biting....:)

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No Pics...?
I was originally going to post pictures but then thought that this site may frown upon such content. There are many people who really freak out at the sight of blood, needles, wounds and the like. Judging by subsequent posts I guess I was wrong. Better safe than sorry. I have no problem seeing a picture of an embedded hook but, as I said, there are people who do???
Too late now but I'd be happy to forward some photos of some other injuries?
I had a feeling someone would require a photo.
I'd include said photos here but I see there is no ability to show/hide images and/or content. I am very proud of my sewing ability AND my ability to save money and time. I seem to be able to self inflict about one gash a year that requires stitches and being able to do it myself is very convenient for me.
BTW-maybe it's time to rename treble hooks to, "terrible hooks"

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Happens to the best of us.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Well I don't know if I would call myself one of the best but I do appreciate the compliment:D
BTW-you sure do have large fingers. And very well kept I might add.
Seriously though that is a double hook up that I'd love to avoid. Snatching that out would require at least 5-6 "3 counts" plus a few "ready, set", "On your mark, get set", 3,2,1 and so forth. Maybe just chopping off the entire piece of anatomy would be less painful. Or not.
I also appreciate that popper. What were you fishing for?

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's not a finger... It's his bicep
I knew that my friend. It was yet another failed attempt at humor on my part as was the
'very well kept" comment. Would someone really comment on another persons hand hygiene? I hope not:D
Nice looking bicep BTW:p

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Super awesome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts