NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In some sections of the North Carolina Outer Banks a high tide may have a 2 hour or more difference within a ten mile stretch (as calculated by NOAA). I feel certain that the size of our Outer Bank’s cuts & inlets affect the tides and can speed up the tides nearer the cuts (versus having the tide work its way up the sound). Specifically, the area between the NOAA tide stations in Davis, NC and Ocracoke, NC is about 30 miles with 3 cuts of various sizes in between. Couple that with the canals between the Core Sound and the Neuse River bays & Pamlico Sound, and any given 2 mile radius seems to have huge variations in tides. Does anyone have a good handle on the high and low tides for Atlantic, Thorofare Bay and/or Cedar Island as compared to David Core Sound (which does have an NOAA tide calculations)? I have yet to figure the tides out within that stretch on the Core Sound. Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was told by a couple of locals that the tide around the Sealevel and Atlantic area is one hour later than Shell Point / Harkers Island. I haven't had a chance to validate it. If you find anything contrary then please let me / us know as I'm interested in this as well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I found this web site that lists Davis / Core Sound tides and it confirms what I said earlier about the tides in the Down East area being an hour later than Shell Point in Harker's Island.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts