NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to add a Downrigger to my kayak to target all those fish on the fish finder lurking in the 80 ft depth range. Anyone doing this that would share some knowledge on what they have learned doing this from a kayak. Also would like to hook up with someone also interested in this type of fishing or trolling to share the fun with.

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Hobie PA 14 and I don't think it will be a problem with the mirage drive. I plan on cutting the boom down so that the weight and line will extend about 10 inches from the side of the kayak for easy retrieval.

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Darrell, the only reason that I want to get down into the 60 to 80 ft range is due to what I'm seeing on my fish finder here lately. I have found a few places with fish stacked anywhere from 30 to 70 ft and would like to target them just to see what I can catch. I guess it all boils down to is I want to try a new approach to my fishing and try fishing deep this winter.

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Inline sinkers, planers, torpedo divers, etc did not work for me. Don't hesitate, my downrigger has been a fun and effective tool on my kayak when I was targeting deep fish back in February.
I ordered the Scotty Depthmaster compact 1050 and the Scotty Laketroller mini this weekend. The Laketroller will be no problem mounting to the PA but the Depthmaster will require some thought and creativity on mounting due to the base plate size. I plan on having everything setup by the end of the week and getting out on Norman to get use to using them. I also plan on fishing this winter to target them in deep water. Trolling has always been fun for me and productive and the downrigger hopefully will be to.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I ordered the Scotty Depthmaster compact 1050 and the Scotty Laketroller mini this weekend. The Laketroller will be no problem mounting to the PA but the Depthmaster will require some thought and creativity on mounting due to the base plate size. I plan on having everything setup by the end of the week and getting out on Norman to get use to using them. I also plan on fishing this winter to target them in deep water. Trolling has always been fun for me and productive and the downrigger hopefully will be to.
Yeah its also good for live baiting as well. I intially got it because of the need to get goggleyes down deep for pelagic in south florida. Only downside to mine is it is only rated for up to a 3 pound ball. I may try a 4 pounder though, that gulf stream was killing me. You've got a lot more options of mounting on the PA versus my Revo. I shoulda busted out the DR yesterday but was too lazy.

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had not giving any thought to live bait but sure glad you mentioned using live bait. Have you used the downrigger out past the pier on Oak Island. I have heard there is a deep drop off that holds some big fish there and was going to give it a try after I get get proficient with using a downrigger. dbeam stoped by my house Saturday and I showed him my plan on mounting the downrigger and I think he agreed on my plan of mounting.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Contact bguffey on this site. He had a kayak with a downrigger on it at the teach a kid to fish event

Reactions: GreyGhost

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Darrell, I'm also curious to what TBH is using but I went with a Scotty Power Grip Plus release with 18 inch leader and cannon ball clip.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had not giving any thought to live bait but sure glad you mentioned using live bait. Have you used the downrigger out past the pier on Oak Island. I have heard there is a deep drop off that holds some big fish there and was going to give it a try after I get get proficient with using a downrigger. dbeam stoped by my house Saturday and I showed him my plan on mounting the downrigger and I think he agreed on my plan of mounting.
I have not had a chance to use it at OKI yet. There's no real drop off that I am aware of, but it can have its use. I use the Scotty clip that came with my set up and have done zero research on clips. I'd highly recommend getting rid of the cable and replacing it with braid. The cable vibrates like crazy and is annoying on a kayak. I was also worried that since I put flashers on my ball that there was a possibility a shark may one day grab the ball and I'd rather lose the ball than flip the kayak. I haven't gotten much really deep yet. I did manage to snipe a blue catfish on a crankbait at 41 feet back in February after marking stuff at that depth.

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was thinking braid was the way to go so thanks for the confirm. A friend gave me a dry suit so will be hitting Norman this winter trying some of the deep spots in the channel and a few other choice spots that I have found riding around doing some recon. I can't wait for the fun to begin.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was thinking braid was the way to go so thanks for the confirm. A friend gave me a dry suit so will be hitting Norman this winter trying some of the deep spots in the channel and a few other choice spots that I have found riding around doing some recon. I can't wait for the fun to begin.
Winter is super fun on Norman. When you do find the fish it can be a bonanza. I've actually never caught anything in the Marshall Steam Plant hot hole ever, always seem to have to get away from its influence. Winter also brings less boats. Typically you have a short spurt of bass fishermen to worry about around 7 or 8, but unfortunately there was a terrible influx of striper fishermen this winter...I had 3 weekends in a row someone ran over my lines.

·
Red X Angler
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I take it that you were trolling last year when they ran over your lines. The only time I troll Norman now is early morning and stay out of the channel to avoid the bass boats. I received my Scotty Depthmaster today and plan on having it mounted to tha PA by end of the week. I need to set up a live well since you mentioned using live bait and pick up some extra weights fro the downrigger and I should be good to go

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.