NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys use any form of down rigger or planner?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
it would certainly be better if ya used lead core line than all the other types of depth achiving systems as you have really have limited room on a yak..just a sugestion..

zooker

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Another option is use a deep running plug such as a bomber (the original bomb shaped one) or Mann's 30+ or a Stretch 25 or whatever seems to work for the depth you want. Tie a dropper loop about 18" or more above the diving plug (or use a 3 way swivel) to tie your lure to with an appropriate leader. I would try that before spending the money for lead core as it doesn't cost anything to check it out and it works good up to the 30' range. If you want to adjust your depth up or down and don't have just the right plug heavier line will bring it up in the water and lighter line will let it go deeper. 8# or !0# superbraid will let you get down and still hook up without a lot of stretch... which will let you use a softer rod such as a downrigger rod. If you are going to do a lot of trolling 2 downrigger rods angled out to the side will let spread your lines out so they don't tangle nearly as often. If you are going in a fairly straight line such as down the intercoastal waterway a third rod can be fished out of a verticle holder right down the center and farther back. Again a downrigger rod will work in your favor because you want that line above the other 2 to prevent tangles. You can also use a salmon rod which might be better if you were using mono as they have more backbone. While 8 1/2' seems like a lot of rod to deal with in a kayak it will easily reach past the bow or stern when a fish goes under your yak and you will soon learn to keep the fish either off your bow or stern when putting the pressure on them. (initally you want to use a light drag and get things under control before you pressure a bigger fish). I hope this helps even though it won't work for pulling ribbonfish. ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bass Pro Shop sales Magibraid lead core line for under $10. Will it really get my Buck Tails down deep?
Will I need to also tie a sinker on?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
No faster than what you will be going in a kayak you don't need it but yes it will. What depth are you wanting to reach with what size bucktail? Hear are some things to consider. #1. there is no point in using heavy line in very deep water unless it is close enough that you can paddle to shore and fight your fish #2 the smaller the diameter of your line the deeper it will troll a given weight #3. the shape of your bucktail will also determine how deep it will troll. Arrowhead and butterbean jigs with sharp edges will troll the deepest...Banana shaped jigs the shallowest, #4 You will catch more fish on tandom rigged jigs than singles. Trust me they make jigs that will take you to the bottom and stay there in any water you will be fishing if you use 10 lb superbraid. That is the best line for really deep fishing. If you don't believe me ask Ralph Delph. He is The Expert when it comes to getting to the bottom. Just google his name. You will probably have to wade thru a lot of other stuff but like I say he is the expert. Lead core and downriggers just aren't needed in a kayak. You can keep it simple and catch more fish at the same time by using light line and the right combination of bucktails. Put the heavier one on the bottom the lighter one on top. Rig like I suggested you do with a diving plug. Use whatever leaders that are appropriate for whatever it is you are wanting to catch. Carry a drift chute and gaff so you can land the big ones. Take pictures and send them to Lefty....;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.