NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this 30yo Penn 10 that I am going through. Figured I could upgrade the drag washers. Thoughts on what to put in there? The bearings look ok but hey, what the heck, I can upgrade those also.

Inquiring minds and all....

mike

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I am interested in this one as well...I have a Penn mag ten in bad need of some new drag washers.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I see a few different things on Ebay, sealed bearings, drag washers etc..

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Re: call Dawn at Smooth Drag with reel number. Worst case, measure outside and inside dimensions, plus thickness, of existing washer and Smooth will cut them to order. Coat them lightly with drag grease (Cals, Shimano, etc.), if you'd like.

Just found a cheap set on eBay -- carbontex washers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Carb...her-kit-set-Penn-10-60-65-85-99-/281754225435

FYI -- joel
SC, would those washers wk(i assume they will) on a Penn mag 10...I think the Mag 10 s a little different than a Penn 10????

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
No idea, Mack -- might call and ask Smooth drag if they carry a special set for the Mag 10. Otherwise, safest thing would be to pull the washers and measure with calipers (outside, inside, and width). I'll keep looking for the reel schematics.

SC, would those washers wk(i assume they will) on a Penn mag 10...I think the Mag 10 s a little different than a Penn 10????

Reactions: Mack in N.C.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got further into my dismantle. Wow, sweet inside. All Brass.

Here's the Boca Bearing 10M search results. http://bocabearings.resultspage.com/search#?w=penn 10
Do I really need ABEC7? The ceramic 5's should be good enough for a bait pole at the beach eh??

Ebay has a number of drag kits. I will get the full kit with steel washers and dump the washers. I have a nice set of brass washers to reuse. This kit comes with one extra disk. This one goes on the far side of the drag assy.

mike

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordered my stuff.

Stuff is Bearings and drag for the Penn 10. I added bearings and drag for my ABU 6501. The bearings are the orange side ceramic ABEC7. All from HPRBEARINGS on ebay. I did have to ask about the Penn 10 bearings. They have them but they were not listed on their store. The link to the drag stuff above is the vendor.

Mike

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I got further into my dismantle. Wow, sweet inside. All Brass.

Here's the Boca Bearing 10M search results. http://bocabearings.resultspage.com/search#?w=penn 10
Do I really need ABEC7? The ceramic 5's should be good enough for a bait pole at the beach eh??

Ebay has a number of drag kits. I will get the full kit with steel washers and dump the washers. I have a nice set of brass washers to reuse. This kit comes with one extra disk. This one goes on the far side of the drag assy.

mike
dumb question but how many bearings do you need on a Penn 10? i am going to call Dawn tomorrow for drag washers for 2 or 3 reels....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a pair. Boca and the place on ebay I posted last appear to have the same bearings at the same price. The ebay place also had the drag washers. I could not see that boca had the washers. So I Got both from the same place.

Mike

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.