NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

When I signed on to this board, I used the name DragonsBreath because of my enjoyment of fishing in the area around Oriental, NC. You may know that the village "mascot" is a dragon so ...

Anyway, I have decided to change my user name to something more appropriate to my daily life. I am now signed on as CoachKinsey. Probably not the most original moniker but what the heck. For the curious among you, the "coach" part of the name comes from the fact that I am on the coaching staff for football and track at the high school where I teach.

Enough for now. See you on the water!

Coach

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Nice to meet you, Coach

Kevin

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still not to sure about the gummy worms. Went to Wrightsville and fished Masonboro Inlet to no avail. It was cold (make that COLD) and windy. Fish weren't biting anything ... no Gulp, no grubs, no gummys ... nothing.

Oh, well ... it was a day fishing which is better than 10 minutes at work.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Coach,
Like alot of kids, I played ball in school among other athletic pursuits. Had my school had a fishing team, I would have risen to collegiate scholarship status. Why is fishing the only pro sport that has no education based arena of competition where kids can learn. There are fishing teams in Europe that compete with cane poles fishing for carp for pete's sake. Why can't we in the good ol USA put kids and fishing together and add it to the cirriculum? I work at a small liberal arts college in the NC mountains with wild trout catch and release water right on college property. I have students who would love to compete. I would be their coach but there is no NCAA fishing teams to compete with. It needs to start in at the high school level. Hey man don't laugh, I'm serious. I say we make it happen. Let them remember that it all started right here on the NC Angler site. Does the world realize how much time kids in this agegroup 14-20 spend playing wretched garbage video games on the PC. Some of them should be at fishing practice.
Andy

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Carpenter ...

What a great idea! I ran across an article about the cane pole carp fishing in the UK and was thinking how neat that was. I also agree about kids (and adults for that matter) grinding their grey matter to dust playing inane video games. After all, how many times can you kill someone, steal their car, collect coins, whatever before it becomes absolutely mindless? I could pontificate on the issue for pages.

BTW, Zooker (and I don't mean this in any way other than as an honest assessment), 33 seems a bit old for video games ... but to each his own.

As for fishing classes, it isn't likely to happen. I simply can't see the "authorities" being forward-thinking enough to build a curriculum for such. And, I'm not too sure we could justify a course. On the other hand, I can see the development of a fishing club or a fishing team at the high school level. I could even forsee competitions in skills development (dry land casting), lures, and on-the-water fishing.

With this "bug in my ear" I may float the idea (excuse the pun) of a club at my school this spring. I'll bet I could fill a room in a heart beat.

As for your school, where are you? By chance are you at Carson-Newman? If so, I can see plenty of good fishing out your way. The wife and I just visited Asheville and I really wanted to wet a line in the French Broad behind Biltmore.

Enough for now.

Coach

·
Registered
116 Posts
Coach,
I'll do some research about the NC High School Athletic Association and their history concerning this topic. After that I will draft a letter to them in an effort to pique some interest and perhaps provide an opening for a dialogue. I hope that many of our fellow NC Anglers will take part if the ball starts rolling.
As for my comment on gaming, I should have made myself clear. I see young people playing games that are not, in my opinion, appropriate for young minds. I did not mean to construe that all video games are this way. On the contrary, I'm sure there are games that have some redeeming social value. Nor did I mean to construe that all people who play video games are playing the one's with the central themes of violence and crime. So please help me keep folks focused on the real quest...to promote the sport we love and not to belittle the choices of grown men. I apoligize if I offended anyone.
While none of the ideas expressed in this thread represent the opinions of the college where I work and are expressly my own, Lees-McRae College does have three sections of Wild Public Mountian Trout Water designated "Catch and Release Artificial Flies Only" by the NCWRC. We also have a Millpond where the natural bait crowd is welcome too. It is sometimes frozen during the ski season though. Feel free to look me up.
Andy

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with keeping to the topic of fishing and my digression relative to game playing is simply railing against the grand waste of brain space I see daily in the high school setting. Enough of that! I trust the offended will forgive!!!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
well coach crabby maybe i just need a wife to NAG me for 3 hours a night...would not happen to know any in need of venting for 3 hours a night do ya?? as i am NOT married...

zooker

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Zooker ... mea culpa! I did not know that you did not enjoy the benefits of marital bliss. BTW, I ain't all that crabby ... but I will be as soon as I get to Dawson Creek with my new traps.

Enjoy your games!

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
There is nothing more contented in life than knowing you are with the right woman. I've been happily married for 18 years now with three wonderful kids. God has been kind to us. And I'm a much better person because of Lisa. Not everyone has that I know, but I hope it happens for you zooker. In the meantime enjoy the fishing liberation! :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
18 years ... you're still newlyweds! My bride and I have been married for 30 years and are still having fun. Two grown yungun's and a brand new grandpuppy.

Now, out to work on the 'yak.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Sure am happy that my Dad married my Mom--My children are happy that I married their Mom-- And if I had not married the Good Wife I probably wouldn't be catching as many fish as I do-- :D -- And surely not had as much fun for the past 51 years.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My wife and fishing partner of 10 years just made me a 2006 calendar using digital photos of our fishing trips in 05 entitled "It's a Shame We Never Have Any Fun" They don't call them our better halves for nothing. Were talking the catch of a lifetime here. She'd rather go fishing than think of chores for me to do. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not only blessed but blessed in great abundance. A member of my crew was braindead on life support yesterday from a car crash on Monday.They were going to unplug him and let him go today. Last night he woke up and tried to sit up, and answered questions by squeezing the doctor's fingers. It's a Christmas miracle! Praise Jesus Christ! He is AWESOME!!! Roger is not out of the woods yet..not by a long shot. If ya'll get a moment this Christmas, please pray for Roger May!
Merry Christmas to all!
Andy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.