NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
if I know I am going to park it a few weeks I disconnect the fuel line and run it til it dies. I keep Stabil and/or seafoam in my fuel so if it sits a month or 2 I don't worry any longer I drain it. Strictly talking about carbed motors I don't have injection.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
By running your motor dry, you are in esscence running it without oil too. If you plan to leave it sit up for a long while, treat your fuel with Stabil making sure that the treated fuel is in the fuel sysytem of the engine and follow manufacturers winterization procedure.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would not drain the gas at all. Unless you are storing it for a long period (more than 6 months) I would just put in an additive to the fuel (pickle the heck out of it) and then fog the motor. This is only if you are not going to run it for more than 3 months. The fogging basically puts a layer of protectant on the inside of your motor to protect from corrosion, rust, and other damaging elements when not running it. The best thing to do for a boat is to run it every once in a while. This keeps everything free and lose, and oils your inside parts to protect them. Hooking them up to the flush and running it at idle is better than nothing at all if your not going to fog it. The next time you go to run it, put some fresh gas in it and make sure it warms up properly before each use.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would not drain the gas at all. Unless you are storing it for a long period (more than 6 months) I would just put in an additive to the fuel (pickle the heck out of it) and then fog the motor. This is only if you are not going to run it for more than 3 months. The fogging basically puts a layer of protectant on the inside of your motor to protect from corrosion, rust, and other damaging elements when not running it. The best thing to do for a boat is to run it every once in a while. This keeps everything free and lose, and oils your inside parts to protect them. Hooking them up to the flush and running it at idle is better than nothing at all if your not going to fog it. The next time you go to run it, put some fresh gas in it and make sure it warms up properly before each use.
Ok, like I said....noob here...what is...and how do you...fog a motor?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
some guys spray fogging oil into the carbs as the engine runs out of gas, Others will pull the spark plugs and spray the cylinders while turning the flywheel some by hand. Either way you are putting a layer of oil in the cylinders to prevent flash rusting and sticking of the rings. Has nothing to do with keeping the carbs or fuel clean and is really for times when the motor will be stored for long periods or stored on the water as all that moisture and fog can condense in the engine. If you are one of those guys that parks the boat in Nov and doesn't bring it out again until April you need to drain your fuel and fog your cylinders.

several brands around this is just an example. http://www.zoro.com/i/G2696933/?utm...w6PuBgKseAhzCX4xKKB5JRCE9LnKpF3yQ8aAjyw8P8HAQ

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
some guys spray fogging oil into the carbs as the engine runs out of gas, Others will pull the spark plugs and spray the cylinders while turning the flywheel some by hand. Either way you are putting a layer of oil in the cylinders to prevent flash rusting and sticking of the rings. Has nothing to do with keeping the carbs or fuel clean and is really for times when the motor will be stored for long periods or stored on the water as all that moisture and fog can condense in the engine. If you are one of those guys that parks the boat in Nov and doesn't bring it out again until April you need to drain your fuel and fog your cylinders.

several brands around this is just an example. http://www.zoro.com/i/G2696933/?utm...w6PuBgKseAhzCX4xKKB5JRCE9LnKpF3yQ8aAjyw8P8HAQ

I checked that out. Thanks. Again, YouTube has a few vids showing the process. Some guys seem good at it....and other will be buying a new motor soon!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I drain the carbs every time its the best way to keep the carb in good shape. You have 2 ways to do it the easy way and the hard way, easy way unhook the fuel line from the engine run it until it dies. Hard way take the cowling off and crack the drain plug on each carb.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
You need to come fog my motors :eek: Then again they wont sit still that long if this cold snap ever leaves :)

I drain the carbs every time its the best way to keep the carb in good shape. You have 2 ways to do it the easy way and the hard way, easy way unhook the fuel line from the engine run it until it dies. Hard way take the cowling off and crack the drain plug on each carb.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
On a carburetor engine unplugging the fuel line and running it until it quits leaves fuel in the bowls.
Most engines with bowl drains......you are talking about a coupla minutes time to do it.

If I used the boat once every week or so, I'd drain the bowls.
This gas today aint nothing even close to the gas we had 15-20 years ago. This stuff is crap.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I seriously do. Fuel treatment isn't going to make gas what it used to be. You might prolong the life of the gas a little longer as far as firing a cylinder, but it's still going to sludge a carb. We have crappy gas.

Remember when gas used to be red? It's white now.
If I run a carbed outboard, I drain the bowls. It's quick and simple. A few rags and a wrench. Done.
Working on weedeaters is cheaper than working on outboards.

·
Registered
237 Posts
On a carburetor engine unplugging the fuel line and running it until it quits leaves fuel in the bowls.
Most engines with bowl drains......you are talking about a coupla minutes time to do it.

If I used the boat once every week or so, I'd drain the bowls.
This gas today aint nothing even close to the gas we had 15-20 years ago. This stuff is crap.
thay makes absolutely no since running the engine will drain the bowls adequately look up "venturi effect" then get back with me

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
thay makes absolutely no since running the engine will drain the bowls adequately look up "venturi effect" then get back with me
Carb bowls have a low spot, designed to allow a small amount of sediment to collect to protect the "pick up" from clogging. Running a carb "dry" does not truly remove all of the gas just most of it. a small amount will remain in that low spot. Running them dry helps lessen the chance of issues, draining prevents it. The small amount left in the low spot will turn to goo, dry up. varnish and then when the carb is loaded again with gas it can break loose and clog stuff. Running dry is better than leaving full, draining is better than running dry. Some carbs have the drains hard to get too behind breathers etc. Drop a drain screw into the "dark abyss" and you have to tear stuff apart to get to it or try to chase down a replacement so pack a paper towel under the screw to catch it if it escapes. That also catches the gas that runs out.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It's pretty easy to prove if you doubt.
Pull the fuel line and run it until it quits. Loosen the drain on the bottom of the bowls.
There is a reason the manufacturer saw fit to include drains on the bottom of the bowls. So you could drain the bowls.

I know on various message boards I see a lot more fuel related problems and carb issues than I used to. White gas sucks even with a fuel additive.

To me, it's too simple and easy not to do it. It's cheap insurance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.