NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this from the monthly Town of Emerald Isle newsletter:
"The Carteret County Board of Commissioners has scheduled a referendum for November 4 on whether or not the local sales tax should be increased by 1/4% to fund future navigation dredging projects in Carteret County. If approved by the voters, the total State and local sales tax paid on certain purchases would increase from 6.75% to 7%."
"The additional sales tax is expected to generate approximately $2.5 million annually for Carteret County. Bogue Inlet is among the local waterways expected to be eligible for dredging funds from this revenue source if approved by the voters."

I have no problem with this IF ,and only IF the money is used for dredging the inlets ONLY

·
Registered
575 Posts
What happened to all the money from doubling the boat registration fee for everyone, including those of us with boats small enough that we will NEVER use an inlet? Wasn't that money supposed to pay for dredging?

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
That money will pay for dredging, but not all of it. The Feds agreed to pay for some of it, the state some and then the remainder had to be paid by the counties. It's an expensive operation, but one that is absolutely necessary to out economy. Whether you personally use the inlet or not, you benefit from it being open.

Disclaimer: I stand to gain absolutely nothing on a personal level by an inlet being dredged as I only require 6 inches of water to run in.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O. K. some clarification here. As I understand the Feds ARE NOT funding any dredging except for inlets that are for commerce or military use. The great Obama administration has dumbed the expense of dredging "shallow draft" inlets on the states. North Carolina has said that they will fund only a portion of that expense. This funds are to come from the increase in boat registrations. The rest of the expense is to come from local and county governments.

The biggest problem right now is that no where has any legislation been passed to allow the Army Corp. to contract with state and/or local governments to do this work. As I understand this is in the process of being resolved.

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
That money will pay for dredging, but not all of it. The Feds agreed to pay for some of it, the state some and then the remainder had to be paid by the counties. It's an expensive operation, but one that is absolutely necessary to out economy. Whether you personally use the inlet or not, you benefit from it being open.

Disclaimer: I stand to gain absolutely nothing on a personal level by an inlet being dredged as I only require 6 inches of water to run in.
I tend to agree that there is some benefit from keeping the inlets open. But the organizations that help our economy are already more than likely afforded some breaks in taxes. So in my opinion if the costs for them to operate then that's tough luck IMO.

I felt a rant coming on but it is too early.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
O. K. some clarification here. As I understand the Feds ARE NOT funding any dredging except for inlets that are for commerce or military use. The great Obama administration has dumbed the expense of dredging "shallow draft" inlets on the states. North Carolina has said that they will fund only a portion of that expense. This funds are to come from the increase in boat registrations. The rest of the expense is to come from local and county governments.

The biggest problem right now is that no where has any legislation been passed to allow the Army Corp. to contract with state and/or local governments to do this work. As I understand this is in the process of being resolved.
Interesting comment. So people scream and yell that the federal gov't should reduce spending and let states stand by themselves, but then when something is done to support that they scream and yell that the fed gov't did something wrong. What do you really want? I guess this explains a lot about the conservative gridlock in our Congress.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Bogue inlet isn't one of the inlets with organizations benefitting from it being open though. I've not seen the list so I don't know what inlets it includes. That said, the recreational fishermen are the main benefactors of keeping Bogue Inlet open and we (the state of NC/Carteret County) benefits from it being open by people spending their dollars there when the visit to fish. Fuel, tackle, bait, ice, wife goes shopping, food, hotel etc. If the inlet isn't usable they'll go somewhere else where it is.

I like the use of a sales tax to help pay for things. IMO sales tax effects everyone equally. There aren't brackets where if you make x amount you pay this much if you don't make this much we pay you. It's cut and dry. We tax you a fixed amount on what you spend.

I ask that everyone refrains from talk about the current administration as well as from turning this into a liberal vs conservative debate. There are places to discuss those things and NCangler is not one of them.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I agree that a sales tax is the best way to go. Personally, if it were within my powers, I'd completely do away with "property tax" and handle it all through sales tax. The doubling of the boat registration fee just hits some of us pretty hard. I have a 50 year old 15" Starcraft. $90 for 3 year registration plus trailer tags, property taxes...it won't take long to pay out in "usage fees" more than what the darned this is worth!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'd be more than happy to help pay for a portion of it even though I live inland as I see it as the same as maintaining state roads. But only if I didn't have to subsidize the homeowners policies of everyone living on the coast.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I'd be more than happy to help pay for a portion of it even though I live inland as I see it as the same as maintaining state roads. But only if I didn't have to subsidize the homeowners policies of everyone living on the coast.
Your analogy actually supports the "pay your share" to a large degree as it is largely based on fuel costs and the tax on diesel (used mostly by heavier vehicles that take the greatest toll on roads) is higher.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I agree that a sales tax is the best way to go. Personally, if it were within my powers, I'd completely do away with "property tax" and handle it all through sales tax. The doubling of the boat registration fee just hits some of us pretty hard. I have a 50 year old 15" Starcraft. $90 for 3 year registration plus trailer tags, property taxes...it won't take long to pay out in "usage fees" more than what the darned this is worth!
I have an Intruder Skiff, a Sea Pro Bay Boat and a 14 foot duck skiff. I know all about the increase in registration fees...

I still think $30 a year is cheap. I spend more than that a year on bubble gum.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I think the original post has gone over some of your heads. This isn't effecting any of you that don't live here. Your taxes aren't going up. Only the SALES tax of those that CHOOSE to spend their dollars in Carteret County will be effected and then only by .25 percent.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts