NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Any idea on how long it is expected to be down?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wanting it dropped by 14 feet by November 1st. I don't know for how long, but there goes the prime fall months of fsihing at the Rock. I hope to be in a regional tournament there at end of September, hope it isn't too bad at that time.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Wow...but that will be a good time to do some shore line scouting...when they drop it like that, are there any ramps that can stay open?

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Actually, just heard from my friends at Fish Bait Radio that the lake is expected to be 14 feet down by November 1st, then it will stay there for 5 days and they will start refilling it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yep that is true Lewis. But I did enough of that during the drought of 02. I'm not sure but I would think the only ramp that may possibly be open would be Southmont. I am told that is extends further out than any others. Be awfully easy to tear your stuff up down there when it's like that though. Even more than usual!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Maybe a couple of "park and hike" days around the shoreline might be in order then? I guess its not considered trespassing on personal property if your are walking on the ground that is below the property lines of full pool so that could be productive in some areas...

·
Registered
42 Posts
The article I saw said it would start going down on the 15th of Sept, it will take four weeks to reach 14 feet below full pool, then - it'll remain 14 ft down for one week while they inspect the bridge and determine necessary repairs --- at that point it will refill, hopefully by Nov 1, according to river flow. You are allowed to access Alcoa property below the high level mark to repair docks, remove trash and wood --- but it will be unlawful to remove artifacts of any type ----- If you don't like what they're doing (locals are asking that they hold off till Winter), Contact Senator Stan Bingham and voice your opinion ---- Winter may be tough on fish that are pooled up though, they can probably survive the pools during the fall ---- that is if I don't catch em ---- River
Oh Ye --- The Ramp at Southmont and Flat Swamp will remain open --- but Alcoa warned basically ---- that you boat at your own risk, with great fear of losing your lower unit ------- also, they didn't mention it, but I'm sure ATV's and 4 WD's will be unlawful (A fast one will work, Trust Me) --- River

·
Registered
236 Posts
yea i heard about all this from a guy at tamarac that works for alcoa the initial plan was to start drawing sept 10th releasing a minimum of 12 " of water per a week...i do remember how long it took for the lake to come back up when they took it down back in mid 2000s it took a long time...plus they cant quit generating power b/c high rock is the beneficiary **** that controls the head flow for the yadkin chain...but as for fishing if you can get out they will be stacked up makes em easy to catch just dont run around to fast watch your electronics...i'ma make the best of the situation regardless and hopefully be able to wack some fish and some ducks out there...theres plenty of structure you can find when waters down but people go around and tear stuff down that isn't supposed to be there such as rock piles brushes etc...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts