NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out early Saturday morning with some good friends to do some much needed fishing. We left the ramp at about 6:30 and headed north fishing the docks on the stretch of road between the drawbridge and Banks Channel. I hooked up into a load of drum but unfortunately only got two (18 and 19 inchers) to the kayak. The bite was insane but difficult as they were underneath the docks. We lost a bunch to cut offs and pulled hooks as we tried to drag them out.

They were biting a little setup I made out of Berkley Gulp, 1/4 ounce jighead, and a small gold spinner that hooked onto the jig eye. The color of choice was rootbeer. Just cast under the docks and they are hitting the lures before they touch bottom. Make sure you have really heavy test (braid preferably) and tighten the drag down so you can pull them out quickly.

I had my drag tightened down to 10lbs of pressure which works great for dock fishing... except today. Around 7ish I had a hit that felt like a train. I locked the drag down as tight as possible just to have line still coming out. After a short fight all I got back was a hook bent in two places. It's worth seeing the pics and I'll try to get them up soon.

Anyway, we worked this one dock dry and paddled on to Banks Channel where my buddy Keith caught a a 17 inch flounder. The flatties are back and they are hitting the spinnerbaits too! A gold blade with a chartreuse curly tail grub produced two really nice flounder for him.

We headed in because a storm was rolling in but fished the "magic dock" one more time for a few more drum. They seemed to really like the shade and 4 foot of water.

Anyway, it was a good time. I'll get pics back soon.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only use Gulp and the best ones are the shrimp I think. I don't like the peeler crabs because when you cast them they turn flat into the wind and spin like crazy. Your line will develop some nasty twists.

I don't know how much the shape (crab shape vs. shrimp) really affects the fishing though. To me it seems like the smell is the biggest factor for them. The shrimp is just the easiest to hook right, cast, and feel in the water.

I do have a good picture of the Gulp I was using and I'll post it soon. In the meantime, it was a rootbeer shrimp, 1/4 ounce jighead, and a spinner. The spinner is made by a NC company called Honey Hole Lures. I've only found them in Greenville Marine but I'm sure another company makes the same thing. It's a clip and spinner blade that you just hook to the eye of the jighead and you tie your line to the spinner. I have been buying Redfish Magic and putting Gulp on those but this new way only cost $1.00 to make instead of $3 or $4.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Druminator-
Congradulations on your catch. I'm looking forward to get a chance to bring my Yak down soon.

I like the Gulp Shrimp with the Jig head Spinner Combination, as well. I found a head which is very popular on the BASS circuit from a company called Swarming Hornet Lures. The major difference is that they use a Willow Leaf Blade as opposed to the Colorado Style on the other heads.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trying to learn everything at once with little time left!

Hey Druminator,

I am new to serious coastal fishing and am taking my Hobie Mirage Drive Fishing Yak down to Wrightsville this thursday afternoon thru sunday morning with the intention of starting to learn what I can about flounder/drum fishing from the kayak. I have read your posts and others' on other sites and am wondering if I should start out with live bait or artificial and what the considerations are. If that is too broad a question, maybe a link to a good article or 2 on the subject. I am also new to Saltwater kayak fishing but it really intrigues me. I have a great deal of freshwater experience but not salt.

On another note, any experienced small boat/kayak near shore fisherman in the Wrightsville beach area through those days that will trade some knowledge/experience on the topic for a couple of cold beers on me at one of the local bars would be greatly appreciated. First hand teaching is far better than reading web tutorials! I can be reached on my mobile phone at 336 314 2128.

Thanks for any tips, sincerely,

Chris Boggs
Greensboro

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're going to do some inshore fishing I'd recommend throwing lures. With the new and different styles of Gulp! you can cover all the grounds of natural baits. Plus the smell drives drum wild. Get you a few packs, I prefer the 3 inch shrimp pattern in natural, white, and rootbeer with a 1/4 ounce jighead.

Anchor down current from some docks and cast under them. Let the lure fall all the way down then do a slow bump and retrieve. You'll find drum and flounder under and around the pilings.

My new work schedule comes out Thursday. If I have a day or two off this weekend I'd be glad to join you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.