NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I decided to go tent camping on Hugh Taft Island (between Lea and Figure 8 islands) last night. It was very windy but we had a great time. I surf cast last night but didn't have much luck, a small shark and a ray. I got up early this morning, fixed coffee, pancakes and bacon, then shoved off to fish for a few hours while the wife went to the beach.

The drum bite was on! I boated a total of 10 drum in less than 2 hours. All in the 19 -25 inch range. I had 3 pulled hooks near the boat too. And all on my little speck rig, think I may have to check those drag washers....;). It was a blast! I caught them on the marsh banks using Gulp! 3" pogies in the new penny color. Finally quit and went flounder fishing cause my arm was tired..... Caught two of those, a 17" and a 16".

Here's a sampling of the pictures

Then I headed back the beach and was treated to a show from my dog, Star and a crab she had cornered on the sand.

All in all, it was a great trip!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Mike--- Gotta love that pic of Star and crab. She definitely has done much back tracking. Looks like a hundred dogs have been walking behind her.

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Mike, you seem to have the drum and flounder all hemmed up. After last winter I was kinda expecting to hear of some nice trout to go with them. I haven't heard much about trout this year. Does that translate into some awesome fall fishing? I'm hoping so.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sinker man said:
Mike, you seem to have the drum and flounder all hemmed up. After last winter I was kinda expecting to hear of some nice trout to go with them. I haven't heard much about trout this year. Does that translate into some awesome fall fishing? I'm hoping so.
I haven't targeted trout much this summer. They are around but my summer order of preference for sound side fishing is Drum, flounder, sheephead, specks. That all changes in the fall, specks move up the list. Then in the winter it pretty much is specks and drum. I was tempted yesterday to go after some specks so I could lay claim to a "slam", but had to get home and do some chores :(

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey Mike!! you think you could save a couple of those pups for when I get down there? LOL Sounds like you and the madam had a great trip. Congrats on the fish.
You're making me want to call in for work.L.O.I. Lack Of Interest!!!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pier dweller said:
Hey Mike!! you think you could save a couple of those pups for when I get down there? LOL Sounds like you and the madam had a great trip. Congrats on the fish.
You're making me want to call in for work.L.O.I. Lack Of Interest!!!
No problem, I put 9 of them back in for ya :p

L.O.I.....hahaha....I like that one!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I hate to admit it but yesterday (July 29th, one week after above catches) I got skunked! Fished from 6:30 in the morning to noon on the incoming tide - nada except a 10" flounder I brought to the side of the boat and released. I did see one other boat catch one drum but that was it :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.