NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sitting here during a slow moment at work. When this happens my mind usually drifts toward one of two subjects. One is fishing and y'all can draw your own conclusions about the other. Today its drum, the big old kind. With the real season in the Pamlico is a couple months off, I can't help but start getting excited. So I wanted to re-live and share an experience we had last year. After hearing and reading so much about the rising popularity of hooking these behemoths under popping corks, I decided to take it to another level (pardon the pun) with top water plugging. So I rigged some light, stout 7 ft rods (ugly stick tiger lites) with 25 lb braid, 60 lb mono shock leaders, and some really large surface poppers that we had used in the surf for stripers about 10 years ago. While cruising from the Pungo toward Rose Bay at about 6:30 AM last July we see some major surface action in the distance. Dolphins? Tarpon? Rays? The we get close enough to see huge drum getting air on corn cob mullet. So we ease up and whip out the new rigs. Within about 2 minutes both sons hooked up! By the time we got them boated the school had gone under, but what crazy action for about 15 min. Took our time with reviving them and both fish swam away to fight another day. Anybody else got a favorite drum memory they want to share?
Water Cloud Sky Boat Watercraft
Water Fluid Lake Liquid Fish
Water Shorts Sky Vertebrate Fishing net
Water Sky Vertebrate Smile Cloud

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Oh man. What an awesome thread. Just what the doctor ordered (it is Thursday after all, we're only 48 hours away from actually living out our fishing fantasies).

Mine was a Red drum memory, but it was down in FL. I was going to College in St. Pete at the time. The campus was right on the water and within a quick paddle to some of the most beautiful grass flats you can imagine. A buddy of mine and I timed things just right to sneak out right before dawn, running the gauntlet of the crazy inter-coastal in the dark, in a canoe, with no lights, and hardly any brains. We arrived at the flat just as the sun came up, and more importantly, just as a particularly low new moon tide had hit bottom. What was normally a 3-4 foot deep flat was completely exposed and the Reds that normally cruised it searching for crustaceans had been forced to retreat into the deeper edges. They weren't terribly happy about it and were quite eager to come up the flat with the rising tide.

Armed only with fly rods and our own handmade flies, we quickly found ourselves completely surrounded by a sea of blue tails. The wind was dead calm and the hardest thing we had to do was pick ONE tail to target and forget the 50 others that surrounded it. I lined fish in my first few attempts, spooking them and sending them into a frothy rage back off the flat.

The tide was rising quickly and I was beginning to panic. A quick glance over at my buddy confirmed what I'd gotten all too used to, he had already hooked up while I was still striking out. Okay, gotta calm down, get this right.

I targeted the next tail, a good long sloggy walk now that I'd spooked the closer ones, and managed to get within casting distance before it wandered further down the flat. A few tentative false casts, and I finally managed to drop the fly properly this time, line on one side, fly on the other, leader just ahead of the submerged head. Strip. Strip. Strip . . . The tail disappeared. The fish completely melted into the flat. Strip. Sigh. Strip strip. Strip. Str . . .A submarine wake bulged behind my fly. Stay calm, stay calm, stay calm. Strip strip strip strip WHAM! The explosion nearly shot me out of my wading boots. Thankfully, I was so shocked I didn't yank the fly out of its mouth and by the time I recovered, the fly line had gone tight. A solid strip strike had me fast to the fish and the game was on. By the time I released that fish, I was almost swimming back to the canoe.

I'd never caught a Redfish on a fly before that, but in the end, it was the fish that hooked me. My drag screamed, my heart sang, and my fate was sealed.

Man, I need to do that again soon.

I'm hopelessly addicted.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Great story.

My favorite drum memory is at Cape Lookout. A few years ago in the spring a school of several thousand drum got trapped in a lagoon on the shoals. For two days there were probably 15 other people out there. Nice upper 60 degree days with almost no wind. Park your boat and walk over to the lagoon. We must have caught over 100 on both days with anything you could throw at them. It was truly unbelieveable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My favorite drum memory is at Cape Lookout. A few years ago in the spring a school of several thousand drum got trapped in a lagoon on the shoals. For two days there were probably 15 other people out there. Nice upper 60 degree days with almost no wind. Park your boat and walk over to the lagoon. We must have caught over 100 on both days with anything you could throw at them. It was truly unbelieveable.[/QUOTE]

Got to love shark island and running the beach in feb and march. 100 plus red fish days black drum and trout in the mix as well. I use this picture I took to get me through the harsh winters Water Sky Water resources Liquid Fluid
Water Sky People on beach Coastal and oceanic landforms Marines
Water Sky Vertebrate Sunglasses Smile
Hardest part about the day was when it was my turn to run the camera and give my girlfriend my waiters.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have now caught 2 "old drum" both in Bay River, both on Lupton rigs. I now want to catch some on a popping cork and would LOVE to do it on a top water lure!!!! :D envious!!

·
Registered
1,990 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
More than likely.. I'm a pack alumni and I went every year during spring break. This whole working thing really gets in the way now. I sure do miss all those days off you get while in college.
Yep no Friday classes and random holidays was the ticket. I graduated in 2011.

Found a few pics from those days. Heaven on earth.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.