NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all!

So its been my goal over the last couple of years to get out and do some drum fishing on the fly. Now that I have a basic kayak, it seems to be a much more achievable goal. I'm primarily thinking about fishing the Wilmington area, as its a straight shot down 40 for me. I'm hoping I can pick y'alls brains for some spots to head out of. I want to keep it to fishing inshore/marshes. How's the drum fishing during the dec/jan months. Any pointers and tips y'all can offer up are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Ian

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm not sure you will find a bunch of info here on the fly. Or you may, but I do know Capt Joe Shute in Atlantic beach is an east coast fly fishing sensation. And very helpful when you call with questions.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Targeting drum in the winter surf on the fly is almost a sure thing...U can spot them...stalk the red ball...cast and wamm...

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Icm do you find the reds from a boat or vehicle?
We do it both ways, sometimes. Weather permitting, can be dangerous from a boat in winter.
Much more fun to be on land when the weather is nasty.
This was one of those really cold, wet days. ...... ICM

View attachment 67430

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
How many shots will you get at them back in the creek & how large will the average Red be? ....... ICM
Better be able to cast...but ICM has got a point...try both...if it's calm head to the surf...too windy take your stand up yak to the Creck...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I target trout heavily in the winter back in the creeks, and catch alot of reds while doing it. Look for flats and points adjacent to deeper water, then drift a fly or lure over them (the deeper the better) and be ready for the slightest tap. During this last cold spell I was catching reds that were hitting the lure as soft as a trout.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.