NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Mine never look as good as the pictures but I put a little bees wax on the thread when I an trying to twist the dubbin onto a cord and I think it helps. I am using a chunk of wax that was in my Grandmothers Pedal Singer. I don't know if paraffin would work or not. Hopefully you'll get better advice than mine before long.

Darrell

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Practice practice practice. If it's a small pattern like a midge or small nymph, I wet my fingers with my tounge. That serves two purposes. ...it makes a great dubbing technique and no one will bum your flies from you. Anything from say 16 or bigger, I use Loon dubbing wax. I try not to over coat the thread, if it's a very tacky wax, your dubbing may look matted. Quite a few commercial tiets I am acquainted with forgo wax for dubbing loops. But I guess if you tie 300 flies a day you have the technique down pat. Darrel, I think parrafin would put a smell on them. Maybe like having gas on your hands....just a thought. Try beeswax.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
I wasn't clear Tom is is bees wax actually pressed from pieces of comb after the honey was slung out. I didn't know if paraffin would work for jonathan or not.

I did use paraffin and naphtha on my strike indicators. I melted the wax with the naphtha then soaked the yarn and let it dry. I was skeptical but the naphtha smell wet away in a few days. I do keep them separate from the flies.

Darrell

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
I haven't mastered dubbing yet. I can do it, but not satisfied with my results. I have watched dubbing on youtube. That is a great source for learning. I could be too critical of myself. I need to give it a better try. If I fished mtn streams, or lived in an area with stream trout, I would be sure to learn this much better.
One thing that I have not learned is which dubbing for what use. Which dubbing materials are best for wet and dry flies?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I actually have a block of beeswax, and a beeswax and tallow candle, maybe I'll give them a try. I think another issue I have is putting too much dubbing in the loop. I end up with a bulky mess, and a lot of waste.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Here's a link which should have about 70 some individual videos and dubbing is on at least two of them. I haven't watch all of these, but only spot-checked a couple. Consequently....I do have some concern about some of the techniques.... but to each his own. It may be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGHjip1_BoHKHXrIsYtvmeVTJTqf-AarM

The biggest issue I see, watching folks in tying classes, is using way too much dubbing. You can spin or twist a very sparse amount on.... using wet fingers or dubbing wax (just the slightest amout...sorta just "wave" it over the thread) . The tighter you roll it between thumb and finger the better. (only roll in one direction...). If the "rope" is not building enough thickness....just spin some more and make a few more wraps to get a taper or bulk. It's easy to ad more... but hard to remove when you get too much. I like the dubbing loops for bulk in the thorax. And often you want to pick out the fibers with a dubbing teaser or brush to make them fuzzier. And...as was said...the more you dub...the better your results.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
I've just started tying. Wetting my fingers with my tongue as previously mentioned has worked great. I've also noticed that using way too much dubbing is super easy to do. I get just enough to make me think it's too little. Then it's plenty.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The video in Richard's link really helped me out. I figured out what I suspected was the problem was indeed true, I was using way too much material. I needed to halve it, then probably halve it again, and even then maybe thin some more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.