NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are certain creeks I don't go this time of year because I know there are duck blinds back there. Are the hunters usually gone by 9 or 10am? I just don't want to find myself paddling through a spread of decoys while 4 or 5 heavily bearded gentlemen watch me down their 12 gauge barrels.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I am not familiar with either place, but I don't think I would do anything that would not sit right with me if I were in the duck blind and someone else in the boat.

Since it is public waters and the duck hunters should realize that, I would think that passing by the blind well outside of the decoy spread and going two or better yet, three hundred yards past, before stopping to fish shouldn't their hunting.

IMHO,
Darrell

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
We had been deer hunting an area of gamelands touching Jordan Lake for 25 years. One day I picked a tree I could see the creek from. So many trees... so little time. Anyway. Right at first light WW III goes off out at the creek. I could hear shot raining down in the trees between me and the creek at times. We had never had duck hunters that far up the creek from the lake in the past. A couple years later I was in another tree and spied duck hunters walking out. They were a good mile and a half back in there. To bad they did not kick something up for me on their way out.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Naaaa, we were well away from the lake and beyond a bridge road. I have thought about attempting to get back there in my canoe. With my waders I think. I would have to go in the day before and hunt the night and then crash out there for the morning. It would be easier floating a deer out in a canoe. Duck hunters that far back walk in the same path I do pretty much. They just keep going to the creek.

mikeski

·
Registered
19 Posts
As a hunting fisherman, I can say that, IMHO, anything you can do to avoid duck hunters is better, especially if you're in a kayak. A little traffic helps duck hunters. Somebody being around for more than a couple of minutes will create only anger.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Roostertainl24, you should be fine in the back of broad. Most of the duck hunters around here hunt goose creek and down by glenburnie. Most of the land around the area you are talking about is private. There is a blind at the mouth of NW creek that has been there for years and I have never seen anyone in it. Law states you cannot hunt within 500 yards of a perminant blind, so everyone is pretty spaced out. Now from a duck hunters persective a yak and help and hurt a hunter. If you get near a raft of birds that are sitting still you can jump them and they will head for someones decoys. If you stay away from the decoys you should not worry about flairing the birds from them. Im going in NW Creek on sunday morning if you wanna tag along.

Jason

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.