NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever duck hunted public game land, e.g Butner Falls of Neuse, Jordan, or anywhere else 1/2 hour from Raleigh. It's a little early, but I would like to get an idea of what it is like. I'm surprised a popular lake like Jordan would allow hunting, I would be to cautious about fishermen around. Anyways, if you have any experience or have heard anything, I would appreciate the info, Thanks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
There can be some really good duck hunting in that area. My brother and a couple of his friends had a day down there a few years ago that they said looked like a video from the Mississippi flyway. Just like any other public land, plan to get there early and deal with buttholes.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Just putting this out there, I'm looking to get back into duck/goose hunting after a bit of an interruption due to 'work' getting in the way. I have some decoys and can call ducks fairly well, not so good with the goose call. I have a small boat that should work nicely as a floating blind or at least to get into some decent hunting areas. Would love to link up with fellow waterfowl hunter. Pm me if interested.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I used to hunt all 3, but focused on Jordan particularly starting about 15 years ago, but quit 2 years ago. Jordan has lots of room if you are willing to put in work and scout. Fishermen don't get in the way. But there are a ton of hunters out there, probably 4x as many as there were when I started. Some folks are respectful and responsible, but many are not.

Late in the season we had some outstanding mallard/black duck hunts at Jordan, with an odd gadwall or teal thrown in. Lately it seems like the combination of warier birds plus more hunters made it more work than it was ever worth, but one day you may luck out and find yourself in the middle of Arkansas out there. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Just putting this out there, I'm looking to get back into duck/goose hunting after a bit of an interruption due to 'work' getting in the way. I have some decoys and can call ducks fairly well, not so good with the goose call. I have a small boat that should work nicely as a floating blind or at least to get into some decent hunting areas. Would love to link up with fellow waterfowl hunter. Pm me if interested.
I live on a beaver swamp full of woodys but I suck at duck hunting. I might shoot you a pm during the season if I get sick of shooting deer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice, sounds like scouting and getting there early is the way to go. I'm use to dealing with the public hunters, during dove season we usually get showered with shot.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Goose hunting up here is unreal. The French Broad is paved with geese. Imy best friend takes some mallards and woodies too, but he really puts a hurting on the geese. A few of the local carp ponds and people with private ponds rely on him to thin things out. It's only been in tbe last 10 or so years that floating the rivers for waterfowl has gained a small following. Makes up for the lack of Grouse now that thinning public land has become a no no.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Goose hunting up here is unreal. The French Broad is paved with geese. Imy best friend takes some mallards and woodies too, but he really puts a hurting on the geese. A few of the local carp ponds and people with private ponds rely on him to thin things out. It's only been in tbe last 10 or so years that floating the rivers for waterfowl has gained a small following. Makes up for the lack of Grouse now that thinning public land has become a no no.
Let me know if you ever want a hand thinning out some of those geese, have gun and layout blind, will travel. Haven't found a great recipe for them yet, but too much fun to watch those big birds drop out of the sky.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Highly doubtful that the "fad" will blow over anytime soon! Now a days (since duck dynasty got popular) there are 6 out of 10 kids in high schools wearing Drake jackets and blowing a duck commader cheapo call sounding like a kazzo on the water thinking they are a seasoned pro! They get ahold of their daddys boat and show up to the ramp with a dozen mallard decoys, claming they are diver hunting and but usually don't have the slightest clue what they are doing! They sit on good spot and either miss 9 out of 10 shots, not just because they are sky blasting but because they don't practice, or the sit on that good spot with a horribly organized spread! They do it because its the cool kind of hunting to do now a days! That is the major problem with almost all public fresh water lakes or gamelands now! I couldn't tell you how many times I've had to get pretty ugly with some of these kids when they try to come in and setup their spread 30 yards or less from where I have mine set!! And believe me if I set a couple hundred decoys out and someone trys to come set up 10-20 decoys that close to all the work I just put into mine, haha, well... IT AIN'T PRETTY!

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with them hunting. I just think they should be a little more open to suggestion from someone with lots more experience, rather than want to start cussing/trying to start a fight with somebody cause they tell them they are to close or someone trying to give them some advice on their spread or calling or shooting! I guess they know it all though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.