NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 Evinrude xp 100. Don't have a killswitch lanyard for it I ordered one.

Without the kill switch lanyard in place should I be able to do the push button choke on the keyswitch? With the key turned (or not turned) should I be able to do the tilt and trim on the side of the engine?

I put a new key switch on and I am not sure I have all the wires straight.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Not sure if all engines are the same but my 2010 yamaha will tilt with the buttons on the side of the engine. Its made that way for convenience, should not need a key or lanyard.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
You should still be able to tilt the motor and the choke may still work. The starter will still spin the motor but with the kill switch lanyard off you wont get ignition. More than one person has sat at the amp for 2 hours trying to get their motor to start only to have someone walk up and ask if the kill switch is hooked up (DOH!). Yamahas will sound an alarm if you try to start it without the killswitch.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Reactions: cnoffsin

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While you are here Sundrop:

I screwed the negative battery terminal to the bottom retaining clip bolt on the starter solenoid. Is this the right place? It wasn't super obvious where to put that cable.

I saw another smaller gauge black groundwire screwed there.

Here's a Pic:

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Negative can be anywhere on the block where you can get a solid ground so that's fine.

Reactions: cnoffsin and RouseD

·
Registered
395 Posts
Fwiw there are different ways that kill switches operate. My boat has an 01 johnson 90. Actually it came with an 01 50 on it if that matters. When I got the boat I thought the switch was broken. It would start with the kill switch off. Before I bought a new one I found that the switch on my boat is spring operated. If you pull the lanyard while the boat is running it just makes the key turn off. If the lanyard is unhooked to begin with it has no effect on starting or running.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.