NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this may be kinda clueless but humor me................I see a ton of jon boats with a gas tank sitting right beside a couple of batteries. Is this not a cause for concern? Reason it bothers me is I might get a jon with a gas tank and battery sitting side by side and this seems like a bad idea. Sparks happen. Please enlighten me

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Sparks only happen when you hook something up backwards. Remember red goes to the post with a plus sign and black to the post with the negative. You should also consider putting your battery in a battery box. Once you do that there's no chance of a random metal object accidentally shorting the positive post to the negative one and if you somehow have a battery that likes to mysteriously make sparks for no reason at all they'll be inside the box. It's not really a big deal

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems odd. I've done it before myself many times. But it still seems like laying matches down next to a gallon of gas with the very real possibility of dropping a brick on the matches. I'm surprised I've never heard of it causing an accident before ever. OK I'll guess I'll not sweat it. Never owned a battery box.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Heck look at most bass boats, and even my Seapro had the battery under the rear deck with the fuel tank, right next to a bilge pump, livewell pump etc. Always kinda spooked me too. I know it has vents etc but should the right series of events occur, OOPS!!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read once that one gallon of gas was equal to 14 sticks of TNT under the right conditions ( i.e compressed in a small space in a metal container) . Just sayin'

·
Registered
869 Posts
Could be less dangerous because it is in the open air. Ever seen an inboard go up when they didn't vent the bilge properly?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I have 4 batteries sitting inches away from up to 50 gallons of gas in a confined compartment. The fuel tanks are vented at the filler caps which are on the outside so that keeps the fumes outside the boat. If one of those 4 batteries sparks enough to melt through the tanks it will probably start a fire regardless.

BASS pro Chris Lane had a boat fire a month or two ago while his boat was parked at a motel. It was suspected to be charger related last I heard. http://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/chris-lanes-boat-destroyed-fire

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
ND , think ia m gonna pull the trigger on a jon soon.....probably 1442 with a 9.9 as I want to keep it below 10 for a few reasons....I then will be looking for a deal on a 25/20 jet.......very soon my son:D

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I'd also add that it is a very good idea to install a disconnect switch between your battery and anything that can draw current and to "fuse" everything you connect to the battery, including the trolling motor.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Nat's dad not a dumb question at all. I have a jon boat with 15 gallon fuel tank in the back as well as a starting battery and two twelve volt batteries. Never given much thought to it. Some good discussion here.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ND , think ia m gonna pull the trigger on a jon soon.....probably 1442 with a 9.9 as I want to keep it below 10 for a few reasons....I then will be looking for a deal on a 25/20 jet.......very soon my son:D

You need to look at the Alweld 1442 with dual swivel seats and storage under each. I took pictures of at AK McCallam that time. It's not on Alwelds website----it's a special make up boat. It was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perfect boat for everything and a ten horse. Need to plan for a 24 volt trolling motor though for the current. 12 volt just does not get it at 55 need 80 pounds places I plan to let you take me with that rig.:D Add a rockguard, two anchor cranks, rod holders and a huge 120 qt. cooler w/ air in the middle and good to go.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts