NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
75% of my fishing is soft plastics and jigs. I kinda fell in love with ZMan after experiencing how durable they are against pinfish and such. The problem is they get all deformed in your tackle box over time. What are you guys using that has durability similar to ZMan for specks and flounder but more stable as it relates to retaining their shape over time?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Are you keeping the baits in the bag they come in? How are they deformed?

Reactions: c.lane

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Sometime yes and sometimes no. I often "repackage" in smaller ziplocs so I can fit more in to a plano box. No doubt that plays a role but other soft plastics I do the same thing with don't deform.

By deform I mean tails and bodies get all twisted and permanently bent in weird directions and they won't swim normally after that. I think sporadically leaving the box out in the sun while fishing may have played a role as well. Again, other baits didn't suffer from that either. I really like Zman other than this one issue.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Yes I keep them in their original bags. I then put them in my large Plano box with my other soft plastics. It can be a tight fit and my tackle bag often stays in the back seat of my truck in the hot sun. They stick to themselves and come out of the package bent and smashed. I'm sure it's my fault for the way I store them but none of my DOA baits deform that way nor do my Deep Creek baits.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I carry my plastics in their original packages in a soft bag .. except Gulp. Most of the time they're in a plano worm bag.
IMG_0195.jpg
Guess this keeps 'em from getting bent out of shape and keeps the sun off 'em.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you are using the z-man plastics keep them in their original plastic container or a ziplock bag. You don't want to store them in a plastic container with other plastics as the oils are what causes the chemical reaction that causes them to become deformed. The same can be said about redfish magic and vudu shrimp.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I may have found a solution to this problem. I am going to try keeping them in an old plastic peanut jar with water. Kinda like I do with Gulp...except Gulp has Gulp juice. I always add extra ProCure to the ZMan anyway. I'm going to test it on a few and see if there are any issues. I hate a bunch of bulky bags anyway.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I've seen that plastic jar/gulp trick done :D.
Pay attention ...... wet plastics often go milky, some sort of non-petroleum based oil might be a better solution(pun intended)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
A man says on package to keep away from other plastics. They turn into a mess. I use doa 75% of the time and gulp the other

1 - 13 of 13 Posts