NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the shore of Durant Nature Park this afternoon. I brought along my 7' Medium action spinning rod and my 4'6'' ultra-lite for those tight spots along the banks. Guess which one I was using when I landed this guy? :) It was an epic battle with the ultra-lite, but I managed to get him to shore, snap a quick photo, and release him back into the little lake. Caught him on a 1/8oz Bass Pro Shops-brand inline spinner.

Here is a google map of the spot where I caught him:
Google Maps

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Love those ULs...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow I could almost walk to DNP from my house. I have biked around that area, I guess I never thought it would hold LMB. Do you just find bank locations from off of the trails? I am assuming your leaving the public docs for bream fishin? hmmmmmm.

thanks,
cobra-drvr

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you just find bank locations from off of the trails? I am assuming your leaving the public docs for bream fishin? hmmmmmm.
I was actually put-on to this lake by JeffONC on this board, I never considered it for fishing before he mentioned it either. So, big Thank You deserved for JeffONC!

I've fished it twice, both times from the 'Fishing Trail' on the south side of the lake. First outing I was skunked, second outing I got the bass you see in the first post in this thread.

I talked to a serious bass fisherman on my first outing. (By 'serious', I mean he had 6 baitcasting equipped rods tucked under his arm :) He said he caught 2 over 10 pounds in there last year. I personally saw him catch 3 or 4 that day.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey all! This is my first post even though I've been reading the reports for awhile.
I just wanted to say thanks for the reminder that Durant Nature Park is there. Its just down the road from me. I had only fished it once before and was skunked last summer but I decided to give it a try the other day. The result was a very big bluegill and 3 bass. One of which may be about my biggest on an UL with 4lb test. It took awhile to get him through the weeds. Does anybody know the rates for renting boats and how one might go about doing so?
I posted the best picture I could get with the camera on my phone.
Thanks again!
tight lines,
Luke

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nice catch.. I love fishing with ULs

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Hey all! This is my first post even though I've been reading the reports for awhile.
I just wanted to say thanks for the reminder that Durant Nature Park is there. Its just down the road from me. I had only fished it once before and was skunked last summer but I decided to give it a try the other day. The result was a very big bluegill and 3 bass. One of which may be about my biggest on an UL with 4lb test. It took awhile to get him through the weeds. Does anybody know the rates for renting boats and how one might go about doing so?
I posted the best picture I could get with the camera on my phone.
Thanks again!
tight lines,
Luke
Welcome Luke, and nice fish! As for boats, I believe they closed up the boat rental at Durant a couple years ago. The still have one or two days a year when they open it back up, but I don't think they're regularly available.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Welcome Luke and nice catch! Soemtimes the best fisheries are right under our noses.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The authority would of course be the park's own management. You might need to leave a message and wait for a phone call, but at least you'll have a reliable answer.

From Raleigh Parks & Rec website:
For More Information Contact:
Karen Berry
Durant Park Manager
Parks and Recreation Department
8305 Camp Durant Rd
Raleigh, NC 27614
919-870-2871

Reactions: luke1wcu
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.