NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen many reports about durant lately so headed over with a buddy to give it a try. After the brief noon time rain we hit the lake and saw a lot of top action. My buddy worked a worm and decided to try a buzz bait. I got one early on the buzz a small 3/4 pounder. We worked one side various spots for over 2 hours and didn't manage another nibble even. We tried cranks, chatter baits, worms and speed craws and couldn't get anything to bite. We were the only ones on the lake.

I fished it a lot in spring of 2013 however spring outings this year yielded No fish and this is the second time this summer I have headed out without a bite even.

The lake looks fine and still seem to see a lot of bait and small bass swimming around but the lack of reports has me wondering if people aren't posting to keep others from flocking there or if the action has died down for some major reason I am unaware of.

Oh well at least it wasn't a skunk but sure felt like it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry to hear you didn't have any luck, but I think you have saved me a trip. I was going to try Durant and Umstead in the near future to mix it up, but I think I may just cross Durant off the list for now. I tried the pond at my apartment complex yesterday for the first time, and I caught two in about 30 mins.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used to go over there a few years ago but never got much of anything. It seems like such a nice place to bank fish but then after awhile it didn't feel like it was worth the trip no matter how nice the setting was. I do much better fishing the ponds close to home. I can be out of the house and on the water in 5-10 minutes and I always manage to get something. No earth shattering fish but hey it's all fun. I can go fish in the morning and hit it again in the afternoon and not feel guilty. I'm usually back home in the morning before my wife has finished her first cup of coffee. Makes it family friendly....

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Umstead is always a good place however lots of seaweed and stuff floating in the water. One of my favorite top water spots is a mess but a frog might work good in it. I haven't hit the sycamore lake there this year at all since I have had so much success at Lynn five mins from house that I find myself not interested in driving 30 mins each way and not catch anything.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Durant has me stumped. I've been skunked out there every time I've tried. I used to live close to Durant, and tried it a few times years ago, never caught or saw a fish. Have tried it a few times in recent years, and still have seen no evidence of fish! It's small enough that you can literally cover the entire lake from shore, and can try nearly every spot in a couple of hours. I'm beginning to wonder if there's more than just a few fish in the lake?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Durant has me stumped. I've been skunked out there every time I've tried. I used to live close to Durant, and tried it a few times years ago, never caught or saw a fish. Have tried it a few times in recent years, and still have seen no evidence of fish! It's small enough that you can literally cover the entire lake from shore, and can try nearly every spot in a couple of hours. I'm beginning to wonder if there's more than just a few fish in the lake?
Fished it a few weeks ago had a lot of 1-2 # no biggies like I did in 2014. My guess they are still there but seems a lot less fishing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts