NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went home this weekend for Mother's day and whenever I go home, I definitely bring my rods to hit up my favorite local spots, the impoundments. I normally target both bass and bowfin in these spots. Sunday morning, I got out there at 7 and fished til the afternoon but noticed the bite died down around 10ish. I got a total of 4 hits, landed 2. Nonetheless, I'm glad to see the bass look very healthy in these creeks. I have a question for you guys. All day, I will always hear fish jump out of the water and if I am quick enough, I catch a glimpse of the fish jumping. I can spot a bass when I see one but I can't tell if they are bowfin or carp which I know both species are in these creeks. I know channel cats are too, but they aren't too big here and I don't think they jump. The fish have a little red on them and I have no idea what they could be. Do carp, bowfin, and catfish jump?

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm not sure about the jumping, but the bowfin that I've caught (in impoundments around Chapel Hill) have red tails, so maybe that is the red you're seeing. I don't know if bowfin often jump though.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Carp will be all over the banks in spring. They can get to splashing pretty good.
When carp spawn they cause a huge commotion. You'll think people are swimming or someone just dumped a bunch of boulders in the water. They are anything but shy at this point and don't eat anything. They have other things on their mind.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Id say carp. Ive never seen a bowfin jump but carp do it all the time for various reasons. Nice bass

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Most likely they are carp jumping out of the water. Bowfins will come up for air and make a splashing sound like some one is throwing a brick in the water.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I'm guessing the jumping fish, in open water a slap or pop is panfish, a slurp or fish jumping in open water is carp, an air suck and roll without a jump is bowfin, and that toilet bowl suck or fish clearing water in cover is bass. I've got one lake that holds all 3 usually in the same general area. Tossing a jig and cork at the panfish slap gets you a crappie, tossing bread at the open water topwater will drawn up some carp, and tossing frogs or wacky worms at the action in cover will get you a bass.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Well being from the Durham area and being extremely versed in the creeks and rivers there . we have a large gar population and plenty of carp my suggestion is that what you are hearing .

·
Red X Angler
3,772 Posts
Carp do jump. I have gotten good looks at carp clearing the water and know that's what I was seeing. They look like mullet the way they jump sometimes, like a breaching whale. At Randleman, if I hear a big splash, I have come to assume it's carp unless I see something that says otherwise (like shad running and slams on those, for example... those are bass, but usually it's carp making the most noise there)

Reactions: pizzamanrob
1 - 13 of 13 Posts