NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family will be traveling to Holden Beach from Michigan the 1st week in April. I have been down there 5 times and have tried surf fishing the last 3 times although I have only caught Sting rays. This year I'd like to try the rivers or something more productive. Any help would be great. Although I don't seem to do well fishing, We just love the area. You all have a beautiful state.

Thanks

Cheeze

·
Registered
3 Posts
You Can Try Fishing The Back waters and the creeks and the inlet. i would concentrate on the inlet and intercoastal side of the island. doing this you can expect to catch anything from trout to flounder and the occasional redfish. hope this helps
Duckslayer76

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When fishing on the intercoast, will I have better luck fishing close to shore, or do the flounder/trout hang out deeper? Also what is the bait of choice? I have always used
shrimp or cut bait. Thanks again for the replies.
cheeze

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Shrimp and cut bait work well. Also keep some Berkley Gulp! on hand. You might want to visit a bait shop and pick up some mud minnows for live bait fishing (flounder love 'em). If the finger mullets are around by then those work great too if you have a cast net.

Shore fishing is fun and you should do well around the inlet and marshes but I highly recommend hiring a guide for at least one half day trip if you can swing it. You'll be glad you did (I'm not a guide but there are plenty of good ones on this board).

Hope you have fun and catch lots of fish (do leave us locals some though ;))

Mike

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Cheeze, one thing that will help you alot is to learn what fish can be expected to be found at a given time. Actually fish come and go according to the water temperatures. Normally in the beginning of April the water temps are on the rise and in the low to mid sixties and sometimes only in the upper 50's. Here's a link to a temperature preference chart for saltwater. It is general in scope but I think you will find it helpful. AL
http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/saltwater/fishing/article/0,12746,191089,00.html

·
Registered
135 Posts
Cheeze, I do not have much to offer as far as advise about your trip, but I do know of a good MI web forum: MISportsman.com. There are quite a few fishermen there who have been very helpful to me in the past. They also cover topics such as the various hunting methods, conservation, dog breeding, mushroom hunting, etc....

Where are you at in Michigan? I hope you did not lose power in this last snow storm, sounds like it was a nice one.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Cheeze, I'm not a guide, but I did sleep at a holiday inn express last night;). I agree with Hampstead. The best way to learn about fishing in our area is to fish with somebody that knows! Hire a guide for at least a half day. You'll learn more about technique and how to target specific species from a good guide than you could ever read on a website or books. In addition to increasing the chances of catching fish, you'll get to see some of the most enjoyable sights from a boat! Most guide can accomodate 3 or 4 of the family. I'm don't know if it's a concern, but a day of fishing (inshore) is usually fairly calm and pleasant (no seasickness :eek: ). I only mention this because I had some landlocked friends worried before.

Have fun when you come and make sure to post photos of you catch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.