NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I must say, I love my wife. She understands how much I want to be on the water fishing but due to some hard times we can't afford a boat right now. She goes out and does the next best thing. She picked up a Perception Sport Access angler 11.5, new - but it was on clearance (Dick's Sporting Goods) plus 10% off because one of the pulley's on the anchor trolley was half broken. Got it for a still $295 which left room to buy the paddle, PFD and safety equipment, it also came with a anchor and line. It was still wrapped in plastic.

So I'm open to suggestions as to what else to add, I've looked at the post above with all the nice kayak mods.
Here's what I plan to add soon.

Fishfinder - with scupper transducer (I'll find a model) on a RAM mount powered by a small 12 V battery
Milk crate with extra rod holders (not sure if I want to do PVC or buy prefab model)
Kayak dolly - I'll either make one but I saw one on Amazon for $24.95 that sounded like a good deal.

That will get me started and out on the water. I'm close by Shearon Harris and Jordan but there are tons of small ponds that I can now fish. I usually fish for bass but I really miss fishing the ICW since I was stationed in Charleston-SC and Jacksonville-NC so I really love redfish, trout and flounder. I look forward to your comments and possible heading out on some of the waters. Cheers!

John

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
welcome aboard to the fleet, brought one over year ago,and use it so much sold my bay boat..you will enjoy it..

·
Registered
593 Posts
NICE! You will love it. Scupper transducer for FF...isn't that a lot of $? You can just duct seal it inside for $2. Milk crate and extra rod holders for sure. Maybe a bungee paddle holder also.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking to get out on the water either this Friday or Saturday, most likely to Harris. There's scattered thunderstorms forecasted for Friday so I may hit a smaller pond just to get a feel for the new yak and of course fish out of it. I've been out on the lake before but not in a Kayak so I'm aware of one of the landings but not familiar with Hollerman's. Is it good to launch from there too?

Phantom, I wasn't really sure if a skimmer transducer could be used as a thru hull transducer and didn't know if I needed a kit to mount it so I opted for the scupper transducer kit - it ran me $30 bucks. But if there's a way to do it without buying a thru hull trans, I would appreciate the information.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Any ducer will work thru the hull...

Buy duct seal from home depot. Its in the electric section, on the bottom usually. Its like silly putty on steroids. You make a pancake with it, stick it to the boat, and push the ducer down into it. BAM DONE. $2, 60 seconds. Easy to pull off and stick into another boat.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know at Harris there is a launch site if you go in the park entrance but the last time I went I had to launch at the boat ramp at Hollerman's. I didn't launch at the actual ramps though as there are a lot of rocks on the shoreline there. On the other side of the parking lot there is a cove and there are two paths you can walk down and that is where I launched. It's a small decline but nothing too major. I have a cart I got from Bass Pro with runs through the scupper holes to help wheel it down so I don't have to drag it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will you be able to get water temps as well? Hmm...this is new to me, I'm so used to the ducer having to be outside the boat (used to have a 17ft cc) or you had to use a thru hull ducer. So, most folks with yaks use this method versus mounting to the outside the yak or through a scupper hole? I'm open to both options, of course yours is a much cheaper way to go. Any drawbacks of using the duct seal and how much do you use - I see they sell them in 1lb blocks.
Thanks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just enough to flatten it out, and push the ducer in.I use about 1/2 of the block... maybe more if you want to wrap some around the top.. I then use some to hold the dry box for my battery onto the hull in the boat. I can tell you a lot of our Hard Core boys use this way. As far as temp, it may be 1 or 2 deg off, at first, but after about an hour it should be very close to perfect. Im on my 4th yak with this way, and have zero complaints. Plus I have done it for 3 of my buddies, and they like it too.. Just so easy n cheap to do, and remove when needed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Phantom - I did some research and it appears the way to go. I still have the scupper transducer mount but I can return it or hold on to it. There was some debate between two groups on which way is better, I guess it really depends on personal choice. I picked up a milk crate from one of my friends and just finished up cutting the PVC down. If I have the energy I'll mount them to the crate, of course with zip ties since I have a butt ton laying around. Would you recommend cutting a notch at the top so the reel sits in the holder? I throw both spinning and baitcaster but almost BC most of the time. The other decision is whether to use a float or a leash for my rods and I'm gonna use a leash in case I flip. Thanks for the info, just thought I'd share more. I'm planning on heading out to Shearon on Saturday maybe putting in at Hollermans but haven't decided which landing yet.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Mine have slits, but only bc it came with them. Got the pre made ones on sale at BPS, 6 holders for like 12 bucks. Plus to holes for scissors and pliers. Was a good deal. I don't use floats or leashes, but deff should lol. I carry less gear when i am in moving water, just in case... When its flat, I dont see how I could even begin to flip the yak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts