NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, by the time some of ya read this, I'll be quietly waiting for the sun to come up. Gonna spend my first full day in the deer woods here this morning.

Gettin my stuff ready and will be on the way to Winston here in about an hour an a half. Hopefully I'll have a shot today (need to harvest for that spring BBq!!!):p

Wish me luck... 22 degrees for this a.m. should get'm movin!:eek:

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Just dont feel like hunting if the grass doesnt crunch under your feet!!! Hope you have a happy tale to share when you get home safe!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welp,, it was a short trip.

I get there (family property) at 5:15 and walking in quietly, get to my spot, still dark, cold as a frog and sit and wait for the sun to come up.

I spot one deer in front of me, but cant make out if it's a doe or buck, but it's a deer and no rush,, not enough good light yet so I sit tight.

3 more deer come from the left, a little further out to my left and I'm thinkin this is awsome!! Just might have a chance to drop one early as soon as it's shooting light.

So I'm controlling my breathing, not movin a muscle and ready for when the time comes.. then I hear... crunch crunch SNAP crunch crunch comin from behind me (I'm sitting in a cut out on a 40-50 ft hill) looking over a creek bottom of hardwoods.

Definately somethin is behind me, so I watch the deer below me and decide to turn gently to my left to see if it's another deer. Then all of a sudden before I move, 3 deer take off directly away from me and out into the hay field and the lead deer bolts off to my right and towards the front of the property.

So with the sun coming up to my backside,, I scootch around for what I think is a possible deer (buck's usually run the top of this hill on this property) and if I can see antlers and have a clear enough shot,, it's goin down!!!

Next thing I know.... blaze orange hunters hat!!! :mad::mad::confused::confused: I'm like you have to be kiddin me, I'm the only one who hunts the property and folks that I have out as guests. Well,,, I whistle to the guy as I can see him plain as day. The guy walks right past me about 20 ft away and didnt even look my way. Sits down 20 ft away and starts kickin leaves and branches out of his way... (by now it's shooting light) and so I whistle at him again as to not shock him since I'm so close to him.. he doesnt respond!! So I stand up, face him (cigarette in mouth at this point) and whistle at him again. He looks at me, nods his head up then looks back down the hill and just sits there.......

Not knowing who he was, I didnt want to create a "loaded gun" situation, so I made sure he saw me and saw me leaving back up towards the house and vehicles. With it being early morning light... I didnt want to wake up the uncle and aunt.. so I just left. Obviously he'd been given permission, but I didnt know for sure... so I was PO'd and drove home as my opportunity was ruin'd for sure.

Come to find out after I talked to my aunt, he was allowed on the property, but not this weekend and wasnt supposed to be out there until Tuesday. Come to find out this is the same guy (who I now know is an idiot) that we had a run in with 2 X's before where he had permission to hunt for himself and knows family has priority over the property. Well in the past, he showed up with a truck load of guys after 4 of us (family hunt) were already in stands around the property, they confronted us and told us to leave!! ..... we told them sorry, but you need to check before you come out,,, you cant hunt today - you'll need to leave or the sherriff will be called.... well they got the point and left, but fired shotgun blasts at the end of the property before the driveway met the road..... mind you,, at 5 a.m.!!!! :mad: so last year, he was banned from the property.

Long story short.. this guy is an idiot.... so I'm glad I didnt confront him this morning... otherwise I'd of snatched him by the back of the neck!:mad:

Anywhoo... it was pointless to hunt the rest of the morning... so I warmed up the truck and was on the way home before 8 this morning. I called to let family know that it was me on the property this morning and that someone was out there 20 ft from me I didnt know... then that's when all the info got passed along on who it was...

Needless to say... I was pretty steamed about it and didnt have the heart to stick with it today.....:mad:

So no report. (and thanx for lettin me vent!!) I always feel funny when I dont know someone's on the property as for me it's a safety issue.... I dont want to accidently get shot!!! :rolleyes:

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Thats messed up!!! Finally get a day and then this "stuff"... Sorry dude.. maybe next time.....:mad:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Dave
On Tuesday, you ought to go out there at about 5am. Can you drive your truck down to the spot? If not take an ATV...

<Vroom vroom> Hey man, you doin' OK? It's cold out, do you want some coffee? No, OK, have a great hunt. <Vroom vroom>

Come back about 45 minutes later.... <Vroom vroom> Still doin' OK? I got some biscuits from McDonalds, ya want some? No? Have a great hunt.... <vroom vroom>

...repeat as long as you can....

<Vroom vroom> Got anything yet? You must have seen some by now, they were all over the place on Saturday before you came STOMPING DOWN HERE AND SCARED 'EM ALL OFF!!

·
Registered
871 Posts
That's too bad Dave.

I feel your pain as there have been similar incidents on my family's property in Randolph County. Some folks just weren't taught to respect other's property.

Maybe you can get one Thanksgiving.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Lefty. I like the way you think!!..LOL!!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm over it now guys... just wouldnt of been as bad if I didnt have them 4 deer in front of me! ha ha haha.... I was already tastin that summer sausage!!.....

Yeah, I'm with Lefty... thing is.. too much effort for all that... I'd just use the trucks CB radio to hail him over the PA output! ;)

Then go over and squirrel hunt ALL DAY LONG right there near him. I'm sure the crack of a .22 every 10 minutes snipin squirrels would probably prevent deer from comin into the bottom.

When I say this guy is an idiot,, here's the example:

he picks this spot to sit, then spreads corn on the ground around him. Yeah, you read right,,, spreads it on the ground and sits in the middle of it... ha ha ha ha... like the deer are just gonna walk up to eat with you sittin in the middle of corn!!

Anyway... I told my aunt... I dont plan to be back as I have less a chance of runnin into someone on gamelands. I thought it was funny when this idiot told my aunt that "there's no limit on does".... If I go back and he's there,, I'll strangle him.. So best not be around that... I'm waitin for when he launches a round into one of the neighbors houses.. when that happens,, I'd rather not be there.

Oh well.. I'm gonna give it a go on gamelands in the morning tomorrow... so we'll see how that goes! ;)

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
wohoooooooooooooo Hope ya didnt do it with the truck!! LOL!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a couple pix of my harvest this morning!
Gamelands baby!! and I didnt see one soul out there!! :)

First shooting light and this little 4 pointer (which I never did see antlers and thought it was a doe) step'd out of some thick brush about 70 yards out from me. Drop'd the bead on him and Ch-kow!

I was truely blessed this morning with a nice healthy harvest, here's a couple pix. (oh, he wasnt big by any stretch.. 55 lbs carcass weight, 'bout 110 lbs total weight). Already at the butcher and patiently waiting for the call to pick up my summer sausage, breakfast sausage, steaks, neck roast..... :D

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
YUMMY!!!!! Good job! Glad you got one to make up for that mess the other day!!!

Reactions: Dave B.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Isn't this similar to how the Hatfield and McCoy feud started? I'll keep my eyes on the newspaper to see if there are any hunting "accidents" reported.

This is why I fish......although similar "idiot" incidents happen in the fishing holes too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.