NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I read about in an ecommerce bulletin, and now have experienced first hand....

You see something maybe 30% cheaper than you've ever seen it in stores. In this case, it was a Lowrance 4x DSi sonar with transducer, new for $70. I've seen it on sale for $99, but it usually sells for $149. However... It's being sold from Hong Kong and warns that you can expect 15-30 business days for package to arrive.

Well, I'm a suspicious dude, so I checked it out. Seller has zero feedback (not always true, but true here). And seller is registered in US. Odd, why is product being mailed from Hong Kong? I didn't order, but I nearly did, so I researched the scam.

What happens is that you pay your $70, and they sure enough mail you a package from hong kong. The contents of the package will NOT be the sonar you bought, most likely a dollar store item totally unrelated to the sonar you ordered.

6 weeks later, you get package. Paypal holds payment for 4 weeks, so they have already released the payment. YOu open package... See a dollar store item and get all upset.... Contact seller... They apologize, and tell you that you can get a full refund (they're out of the sonar's) if you return the item. You price mailing this to china, with tracking, and find that it is nearly $40. You contact Ebay and paypal... You're told that they have shipping confirmation that the item was sent (what item was sent isn't confirmed), and that if the seller requires a return, you have to send it, with tracking information. That's the rules. No changing.

So seller sells 300 or so fish finders for $70 each. Net $21,000. Ebay and paypal profit from this in terms of $3500 or so, so net is $17,500. Arranges for dollar store items to be mailed from hong kong by a drop shipper with tracking. Might cost him $2 an item, or $600. Seller gets 300 negative feedbacks, closes account and banking account, and moves on to next scam item. Perhaps laptops, tablets, or whatever, with $16,900 in his pocket.

Of course, if you were stubborn, and spent the $40 to return your dollar store item, the address you're sending it to promptly opens your package, returns the dollar store item to their shelves for the next sucker, and ignores everything.... What will ebay do to them? Nothing, they're a drop shipper, not the seller. They don't deal with ebay at all.

So.... If something looks too good to be true, it's still true to be careful.

Right now, I do not buy from any non-US merchants on Ebay. It's just too risky.

Items with this scam....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowrance-El...ltDomain_0&hash=item2339a75c54#ht_1089wt_1230

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowrance-EL...ltDomain_0&hash=item19ec6a67ca#ht_1921wt_1230

Please be careful out there.... The criminals are getting smarter.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
This is part of the fine print. 3)The Post Air Mail takes about 15~30 working days to deliver, If you did not get your item after15~30 working days , please DO NOT open any dispute.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
if a seller on ebay doesnt have 99.99% positive feedback i don't mess with them. i have had some orders from china take 30 days to ship though.

The good thing about ebay is the buyer protection. so no matter what ebay will get your money back. you might have to return the item and be out some shipping but you'll get the initial product cost back if something goes shady.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The good thing about ebay is the buyer protection. so no matter what ebay will get your money back. you might have to return the item and be out some shipping but you'll get the initial product cost back if something goes shady.
Not in this case. You are out $40 it costs to ship to China. They count on most people not doing that, but... They really don't care. They have walked away with their money, and they don't care if EBAY refunds your money out of their pocket. Either way, it's a bad result for you

And good user rating is NO guarantee. It's very easy to manipulate with low cost sales to your fake ID's. A rating of 200 can be bought for as little as $30 in ebay fees.

Reactions: 2840-FISH

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
even if you don't receive your item on ebay they will cover the cost plus what you paid for shipping only after the estimated shipping date though. you will be refunded all costs if it doesn't get there. the only time shipping isn't refunded is if your not happy with the item after getting it. I've been buying and selling on ebay for many years and have always been taken care of by the customer service.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
even if you don't receive your item on ebay they will cover the cost plus what you paid for shipping only after the estimated shipping date though. you will be refunded all costs if it doesn't get there. the only time shipping isn't refunded is if your not happy with the item after getting it. I've been buying and selling on ebay for many years and have always been taken care of by the customer service.​

I agree ebay customer service is top notch and I buy ebay stuff all the time with no fear. But biglenr said they throw in a very cheap junk item so you get an item but you won't be happy with it and won't bother with shipping it back to china. My opinion is is that if this is actually a scam ebay will lose money due to having to refund everyones money. The scammer will have closed up and moved on before ebay can do anything to him.​

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bingo.... That's what happens

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wouldn't ebay be interested in knowing about this?
They know about it. They haven't found a solution yet.

And it's just about impossible to get their attention... Try it sometime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts