NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got some good news and some bad news from the East Carolina-front. I guess we'll start with the good news.

The good news is that with the help of the user, BAB0128 here at NCAngler, the fishermen and women of the East Carolina student body now have a team to call their own within the ACA. Not everything is 100% official, as we have a very important meeting tomorrow to finalize some paperwork that is required to get our names in the books.

We're all so excited that ECU's going to be a part of the ACA and compete within the FLW Championships, as well as the other competitions and we couldn't have done it without BAB0128's strong determination to get this team a rollin' start. Thanks man, if you hadn't done it, I'm sure I never would have got the team started on my own, which is the complete opposite of what I had wanted to do upon arriving at East Carolina. It's all thanks to you man, that this college will have an opportunity to take part in the all-so-new intercollegiate bass fishing league to leave our mark on the books!

Unfortunately, I have to discuss some of the bad news. Surely we have what any fisherman should ever consider bringing on a fishing trip - we have the rods and basic tackle, however many of us will probably return home this coming weekend and get the remaining gear that should be here, in G-Vegas. We have it all, a great team leader, great support, intelligent and helpful club sports advisors and administration, rods, tackle, and a boat.

Yeah, we have one boat. That's not really bad news, heh, but seen in context of about 10-11 of the initial team mates (which will probably grow as we gain proper footing), one bass fishing boat isn't really going to cut it. We'll, at the very least, require one or maybe two more boats to take with us to competitions and championships so that we can go for the top; Number 1, baby!

That's where you, fishermen and women of Greenville and the areas around it, hopefully come in. You see, ECU was kind enough to go and provide us with a very basic, minimal "budget" - if you will - for each of the semesters. I'm extremely grateful that East Carolina has provided us with some money to take care of some costs that the team will encounter throughout the year.

Greenville, and others, my proposition to you all is completely an opinion and not a solid plan, at least until after tomorrow evening's meeting. BAB0128 and I have talked and discussed possibly contributing some of the money given to the club towards what will become "gas money" and "compensation". We hope, with the help of the citizens near East Carolina, to work out a deal or something of the like, to possibly better both parties [One, ECU's team and two, the boat owner(s)] and put the Pirates on the map in the world of intercollegiate bass fishing as it exists today.

Thank you all in advance for your time you placed to read this, and thank you for looking out for our team, even if you aren't able to lend us a hand.

I'll check on this later today, as I can pretty much expect most of the common anglers here would have replied by then. You all are always so punctual on this site; or so it seems.

I wait sanguinely and anxiously to read over your replies. Thanks again!

PURPLE! GOLD! PURPLE! GOLD! PURPLE! GOLD! E-C-U! PIIIRAAATTESS!

--Zach.

G

·
thats awesome man let us know what happens with the meeting. Its cool to see what you can get done with a little knowledge drive and determination isnt it. thats whats great about this country if you want it you can get it.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Got no bass boats, no affiliation to ECU, but when you guys figure out a bank account & club address I (and I'm sure others) will be glad to throw a few bones that way to help with startup & operating costs.

I would hope that some G-ville area fishing businesses (tackle, boats, etc...) would embrace the club the way some folks in Raleigh have embraced the BassPack. I'd say get that story together and take it to the locals. Won't hurt to have some tournament presence/participation to demonstrate and some press.

Any ECU alums on the pro bass tours?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Jeff. Much appreciated! Unfortunately there's not a lot of real heavy duty shops up here. Wake County had "The Tackle Box, Inc." among several others... the Marine Shop off Capitol Blvd... Dick's always provides a nice place to pick up some bait (but not for bass heh), ya know?

I don't know if there's a Dick's down here or not... I don't think so, I could be wrong though. I have found a what-used-to-exist tackle and game shop up about 3 miles from where my dorm is. I never had the opportunity to go there while it was in business unfortunately. Looked like a great place. Just like a G-Vegas version of "The Tackle Box, Inc." We have an Overton's, and we have already been talking to them a lot, although nothing has been officially set up.

Then the president of the team (BAB0128 and I'm VP) has been talking to Triton Boat Manuf. so hopefully I'll hear him between now and our meeting tomorrow evening.

I really appreciate the already-generous offer even though we have not set anything up really passed the foundation of a sloppily regimented team.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Arojekt, You do have a Dicks In Jacksonville NC and you also have Greenville Marine, Washington Sporting Goods, you may want to make contact with them, they may throw a little help your way, good luck with the team...........Chris

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice, TC. I really appreciate that, man. Yeah, I really hadn't the chance to take a trip through Washington except via aluminum john. I don't have a car any longer, and if I didn't it probably wouldn't be down here, you know?

Yeah, I'll definitely look into those. Thanks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Check with the Nuese sports shop in Kinston and the smaller tackle shops even out there. You may only get a discount but every little bit helps.

The basspack holds club tournaments on lakes that have boat rentals so at least everyone in the club can get a line wet. Also look at like craigslist and places for cheap boats with a gas motor. It doesn't take a 175hp to win a tournament (it just helps).

Once your club gets out into the community and people catch wind of a Pirates fishing club then you will get many opportunities coming your way.

Good luck and hope you can live with second place because the basspack gonna take the trophy. :)

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Check Big Horn Outfitters, Tar River Sports, Stoney Creek Outfitters, Fishing Accessories Inc, Greenville Marine, Neuse Sports Shop.
Place a number of places in New Bern and Washington.

BTW, careful what you say on the internet especially if you are looking for donations.

Good luck and good fishing.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck and hope you can live with second place because the basspack gonna take the trophy. :)
Should we lose, hypothetically speaking, we don't go cryin' and wailin' all the way back into town with tails between our legs. ;)

DUN DUN DUN!!!!

But yeah thanks for the rest of the help guys.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mmm. Yeah. Steve, you can call me at 919.656.1605 whenever if you're tryin' to join up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.