NC Angler Forums banner

EI surf 10/21-26

Surf 
1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Reelpure 
#1 ·
Fished the surf at EI for a week. Used Penn Spinfisher 3500 and Okuma 3500 on 7'6" Ugli Stick and 7'6" Cabela's Salt Striker. Fished a gold 3/4 oz. Kastmaster, a couple of tandem rigs (Clouser fly + jig head w/Gulp swimming mullet pearl and a double jig head w/Gulp), and an occasional cut mullet bottom rig. Also threw some weight with Fishbites pink shrimp and the red bag-o-worms bloodworms. Caught a couple of nice blues early morning and some short flounder on the K'master and a small shark on the cut mullet. Caught a load of short flounder and two keepers (15.5 and 18.5) on the tandem rigs. The 18.5 hit the Clouser. Most fun came at low tide fishing the fishbites with 1 and 2 oz bottom weights...lots and lots of pompano! Thanks to Dr. Bogus for all the lessons and info on reading the surf and trying different presentations.
Fin Road surface Fish Asphalt Tail
Food Seafood Fish Ingredient Cuisine
Road surface Asphalt Fish Seafood Wood
Fish Marine invertebrates Tail Science Plankton
Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Animal product
Water Sky Water resources Cloud Beach
Bird Beak Fish Tail Feather
Marine invertebrates Insect Terrestrial animal Soil Landscape

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I was there for the same time period. Fishing was a little slow but enough to keep my interest for most of the day. We had our best success on the rising tide. Low tide was skinny where we were fishing. The pin fish were relentless which made it difficult to keep bait in the water. I managed two drum for the week, one 28 and the other 26. One short trout, a few blues, a skate, hooked up with a shark for a few minutes and lots of flounder. We did manage to get about 5 keepers for the week. The best was 17 1/2. Lost one pole and reel to the surf and had another near escape. Weather was perfect and the fellowship with family was even better. Most of the trout were on gulp shrimp and lead heads.

#4 ·
Nice report sir and cool rig & idea using a Clouser fly!
I was fishing CB area and it was very slow down there. I was using a tandem with jig + white or yellow swimming mullet and a regular hook holding a swimming mullet. Just killed the lizard fish.... :-(
I did manage 4 short flounder & a 17" in Masonboro marsh area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.