NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Friday before the rain rolled in. The water was clear and there was just a light breeze. I fished all morning which included a rising/high tide at 1030.

So after giving you all that information, I caught 3 snapper blues. I was fishing artificial bait, primarily stingsilvers and spoons, because that's just how I prefer to fish. There was a ton of bait in the water around the inlet, so perhaps live or dead bait would've been a better approach.

I saw very little fish activity- nothing like my Labor Day report where there were large fish crashing bait everywhere.

Here's to next time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I fished Saturday evening and Sunday morning at EI. The mullet were unbelievably thick. I thought about using artificial as it is undoubtedly the most enjoyable to fish in the surf, but I find when the bait is so prolific you have to go with it. One throw of the cast net and i had enough mullet for the weekend and the freezer for when the they aren't so thick. Fished the mullet on mullet rigs and 15 minutes later I caught this: Plant Tree Grass Gas Leisure

Sorry for the sideways pic. It measured 26.75 inches, just barely good. I didn't really want to keep it, but i couldn't get the double hook out so I am glad it was in the slot. My wife took the picture and wanted me to hold it way out like a goofball.

My wife hooked an even bigger red but lost it in the wash and we both got hit a few other times. We were fishing almost in the wash, right in the middle of the river of finger mullet. So close in that 10 years ago before I knew anything about fishing, I would have pointed and laughed at the "moron" fishing in knee deep water.

After badly hooking the drum on the mullet rig I switched to a drum rig and proceeded to get decimated by blues on every cast. The wife stuck to the mullet rig and caught a few blues before we headed to the house to watch the Sooners camp out in Tennessee's backfield for the evening. All fish were caught at dead, low tide.

Yesterday we fished the incoming tide from about 9:30AM to 12:30PM. Caught a boat load of blues on figer mullet.

Psyched to get back out this upcoming weekend.

Oh yeah, on the left side of the pic is "mega cart" which my wife and I jerry-rigged from two kayak carts strapped to the traditional surf cart. The wheels on the kayak carts are wheeleez and while they are stupidly expensive, they work great. Dragging mega cart through the sand is really easy compared to the regular wheels those things come with.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You only laugh at the moron if he don't know where to fish to catch fish. I had to chuckle a little last month when the white water fishermen weren't catching a thing. They tried at it all week and I never saw them reel in a thing. But me, I was putting bait way down range and killing them.

Know where to fish. Know how to read water and beach. Know your winds and what they do to the water you are fishing. Those factors determine what club to pull out of the bag. Last, have the clubs in the bag that can get the job done.
If it's muddy on the surf you are wasting your time and bait unless you can get past it into clean water. This is where you get into the more expensive surf fishing. Those "money shots" can pay off though.

Read the surf reports. I get an in depth very accurate report from Magicseaweed.com. That determines whether I even leave home or not. I know what the wind and wave, wind and wave direction will be when I get there.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You only laugh at the moron if he don't know where to fish to catch fish. I had to chuckle a little last month when the white water fishermen weren't catching a thing. They tried at it all week and I never saw them reel in a thing. But me, I was putting bait way down range and killing them.

Know where to fish. Know how to read water and beach. Know your winds and what they do to the water you are fishing. Those factors determine what club to pull out of the bag. Last, have the clubs in the bag that can get the job done.
If it's muddy on the surf you are wasting your time and bait unless you can get past it into clean water. This is where you get into the more expensive surf fishing. Those "money shots" can pay off though.

Read the surf reports. I get an in depth very accurate report from Magicseaweed.com. That determines whether I even leave home or not. I know what the wind and wave, wind and wave direction will be when I get there.
Thank you for the surf site, way cool. Surf fishing is about the least I have done, dont know Jack. Would you please share max surf and max wind you consider acceptable for "adequate" fishing? Thanks in advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.