NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a relatively frequent poster here but am posting this on a throwaway account as to not offend anyone or burn any bridges.

Let me start this off by saying I have nothing against trout fishing, fly fishing, or trout fisherman in general. In fact, I rather enjoy it.
But about two years ago my friend and fishing buddy made the switch to fly fishing and hasn't looked back. It started off as something to try and now it's all he does. Which is fine. The problem is that we are about an hour and a half from trout water and he basically ditched all of his conventional tackle. Again, his decision.
But it gets worse.
He has fishing about once the entire summer due to the local trout streams being all but fished out and far away. So what I'm getting at is that he's basically no longer fishing because he's become so particular.
He always talks bad about any sort of bass fishing. He never shuts up about how trout fight so much harder (nevermind the fact that we're relatively close to good smallmouth water). And now he won't just fish for any trout, but only Native Brooktrout.

He would rather sit at home and dream of fishing European waters for trophy trout than to fish right out his backdoor.

I guess I'm just upset I lost my fishing partner and that he talks trash about any other sort of fishing I do.
Has anyone else dealt with this? Any suggestions? Sorry about the rant, I don't mean to offend anyone and I know not all trout guys are like this.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Not sure I am the best for bromantic advice...

Yeah, it's his choice. I would just honestly say you really still enjoy the local fish and wish he would tag along every now and then. But if he won't shut up about trout and bad mouthing the local fish there isn't much you can do.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Pick up a flyrod and wear out the river largemouth bass, gar, carp, and the salty stuff. Brag to him about your exploits at every opportunity. You would have met him half way, and your job is done.

Tell him also that if gives a rat's rear about native brookies, then he should leave them the heck alone.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Maybe he needs to catch something that actually pulls some drag on conventional or spinning gear. If it was that easy for him to give up on what 99% of fishing actually consists of then he probably never really got hooked to start with.
You can target whatever you want with a fly rod, but if you want to catch fish consistently you need to use what the pros use. In mountain trout waters the pros use fly gear, everywhere else, they don't. Why don't the cops and military carry bows and arrows? Not because they're not lethal, they just are not practical.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My view is the fishing rod itself is just a tool. Choose the best tool for the job or for the opportunity to be sporting. Either way, there's still one common goal. Catch fish.

Spend some time on the water and leave the guy at home.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I mean I hate that. I would go fishing for any species anytime. The time someone I get to fish now is so few and far between that I don't care if its a farm pond for bream or an off shore trip for spanish.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
to each their own. I am happy with a cane pole in a pond full of bream or 40 miles out with a jigging rod chasing grouper.. His loss.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
My earlier "bromantic" comment was kinda joking but kinda not. I get the feeling that it isn't so much about the type of fish/fishing or the belittling of other fish/fishing. It's more about losing a friend. If that is the case, tell him you really enjoyed his company when he was someone you could stand to be around (maybe not that directly, but he needs to hear both parts and probably in that order).

·
Registered
680 Posts
Get him hooked up with a king or a cobia, old drum, shark, big flathead or striper etc. If he's an really an elitist he can afford the fuel or charter fee. Which brings a second point up, you can't be an elitist trout guy for long without the funds, or a jacked up credit card.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
You might point out to him that the same trout he is chasing with a fly rod will eat corn and marshmallows in a lake. ;)
I love it! ...... the noble trout. They fight hard and are found in some of the most beautiful country in the land, but they'll hammer a crawler or a doughball faster than a bullhead will!

·
Red X Angler
2,172 Posts
Trout fight so much harder? Then he's never hooked a redfish or any saltwater fish for that matter. Trout are so fragile that if you don't get them back in the water right away they go belly up. A smallmouth will fight you and then flip in the air and make sure it splashes you before swimming off once you let it go. I enjoy the fight trout give don't get me wrong but fishing snobs are better off staying at home. I have friends that are very skilled at fly fishing but they don't look down on me because I don't fly fish. Sorry you lost a fishing friend, but there are lots of new ones out there.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I love it! ...... the noble trout. They fight hard and are found in some of the most beautiful country in the land, but they'll hammer a crawler or a doughball faster than a bullhead will!
They are connoisseurs of the highest order; few can appreciate the subtle flavors of cheese and garlic imbued in a marshmallow... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
147 Posts
How old is your buddy? If he's over forty, just give it some time. When I first started fly fishing, I was convinced that I would only fly fish forever. After a few years of climbing rocks and fighting rhodo in pursuit of the noble Appalachian brook trout, my knees and back have a hard time with those trips, though I still love them. At 46, I would love to mix in some smallmouth and largemouth spinning rod trips to save my old broken body. Heck, sometimes I go to my local pond with bread and fish for bluegill. Perhaps you guys can mix in both types of fishing on alternate trips.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I don't follow the reasoning behind the "throw away" account so as not to offend anyone. Sounds like the only one that's been offended is you.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Trout fishing is seen as an "art". It seems that a lot of the hippies see it as a way to connect with nature without gaining the "backwards" and "*******" stereotype that goes with other types of fishing. Think polo vs. football. Odds are it has nothing to do with trout fishing, but more to do with molding to a cliche. It's more "classy". I support fishing for whatever reasons you want and I love trout fishing, but I also love fishing for anything I can get to. I just love fishing. Keep doing what you're doing, keep fishing. If he wants to trout fish sometimes then go with him. Invite him when you fish but be okay going without him. Maybe eventually he will get sick of the fad and realize that he can enjoy the beautiful mountain trout as well as the other equally beautiful species found elsewhere. Either way, you keep fishing!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts