NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a very frustrating morning- if fishing and not working can ever be called truly frustrating.

Surf fished EI, out at first light. From 6-8 am the Spanish were as thick as I've ever seen, a single school just moved back and forth along a. 50 yard stretch of beach. They were in close, right I'm the wash . Some were literally skying out of 1-2 ft of water. I know I saw 20+ fish leap from the water, crash baits, etc.

I threw every metal lure I had at them with no bites. Any ideas? One thing I noticed is that they seemed to be feeding on very small, <1" baitfish and my metal lures were significantly larger. I tried different colors, retrieve rates, etcetera, no luck.

Any of you have regular success with Spanish in the surf? One other thing, I only had a trout rod with a 2500 shimano reel- perhaps my retrieve rate was too slow.

Dang I feel like I should've caught some fish today.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was down toward the point at point emerald villas. I can give you a spot to try if you are anywhere close to there

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I would have thrown a half ounce Sea Striker casting jig in silver. It is the smallest casting jig they make and today's sunny skies warrant the silver color. I don't go looking for Spanish without one tied on.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Get a Krokodial 3\4 oz spoon in silver/blue. Reel it fast. Hang on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
When they are skying out of the water like you describe it usually indicates they are on small bait and that 1 1/4 was way too big. I also don't use a wire leader. It's not necessary. I use a short piece of 30 pound fluorocarbon leader and tie it with an Alberto knot (smaller than a uni-uni so less chance of it getting bit).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx, no wire leader for me, I had a fluoro leader, I believe 20 lb. I caught a lizard fish that spit up some tiny, tiny bait fish, my lures were 3x the size of those

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
When I can see Spanish jumping I take a 1 oz diamond jig and launch it and before it hits the water I'm already reeling it as fast as I can. Make it skip across the top. They will smash it.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Ditto on trigger. The only time I would use a 1 ounce jig is if I am marking big schools of bait deeper than 20 feet on the sonar.

Most jigs are similar but I also have had good luck with deadly dick lures.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Saw some jumping this morning and tried small spoons and rattle traps for just a few casts and got no strikes. I am going to try flies later. They are in close!

Sent from my phone with TapaTalk

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I still may have some Gotcha shorties. Wonder if those would work. Not sure if that size is still made.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Under the conditions you described, I've had tremendous success with something resembling a stingsilver at 3/8 oz and 2" long. I got them from Joe Shute's old place several years back. He was selling them in unmarked packaging but stingsilver makes them in the same size. Small profile but they cast like a bullet. Green back with white belly seems to work well under varying light conditions.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Andy. let us know how you do on the flies.

Saw some jumping this morning and tried small spoons and rattle traps for just a few casts and got no strikes. I am going to try flies later. They are in close!

Sent from my phone with TapaTalk

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Also try tying 3 or so #2 gold J hooks every 1-2 feet above a diamond jig, castmaster, or krokodial. Spanish will slam gold hooks when feeding on glass minnows.

Or try this clear water filled bobber.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/TOUGH-BUBBLE-1-3-4-SLIP-BOBBER-6-WATER-FILLABLE-CLEAR-/251058558213
One of those with 5 feet of 30# mono below it, a 1" section of red/white or yellow/white striped straw cut flat on one end and diagonally on the other end (threaded onto the mono diagonal side upwards) and then a #4 gold treble hook.

They kill the big Spanish on these down in Florida. I've seen and used them off the pier in Nc too and the Spanish love it. I suggest it over a good hook rig if you are in the surf just because it will cast a mile all you have to do is burn it across the surface so that the straw treble skips and shimmers along the surface like a glass minnow.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
1 - 20 of 70 Posts